Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lens question

Well, I've only taken a few quick shots and already I can see a massive gain in image quality... i didnt think it'd be THAT obvious :/ Mind you, I've bought very good filters for it now, so maybe that's part of it

And wow, does this thing focus fast and silent or what??

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    Wait, so the EF-S lenses have the same image quality as the L series, but the L series is just better built/weather sealing etc?
    No, the L-series lenses are better in everything but price, size and weight.

You think that every L-series lens is better than any EF-S lens ever made in every aspect besides price, size, and weight? There are several EF-S lenses that have "L" glass (at least one UD element), but don't have the L name or the red ring because only EF lenses will receive those.
    - Eric
    Canon 7D, 70-200 f/2.8 II, 17-55 f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.8 II, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 2x III, 430EX II
    flickr.com/ericolsson

Quote Originally Posted by Poik View Post
    You think that every L-series lens is better than any EF-S lens ever made in every aspect besides price, size, and weight? There are several EF-S lenses that have "L" glass (at least one UD element), but don't have the L name or the red ring because only EF lenses will receive those.
    Apart from glass quality, the L-series also have superior mechanical design. No EF-S lens have the same. Like most others on the site, I have not tried them all. The only non-L lenses I know, which compete with their L counterparts in sharpness and CA, are the 50mm f1.4 and the 85mm f1.8. But if you include bokeh and weather sealing, they are some way behind. But the price, weight and size issue is a good argument.

Your point about only FF lenses can get the L-ring is a good one. Considering the quality of some of the newer (and expected) APS-C houses, it would have been very interesting to see what they could accomplish in weight and size. An 800mm f/5.6 EF-S supertele sounds tempting.

Well, I've only taken a few quick shots and already I can see a massive gain in image quality... i didnt think it'd be THAT obvious :/ Mind you, I've bought very good filters for it now, so maybe that's part of it

And wow, does this thing focus fast and silent or what??
    The 24-105 is a very good lens. There are several happy owners with APS-C crop cameras here on TDP. The only downside IMO is that the 24mm is not really wide on a crop camera, that's why some prefer the EF-S 17-55 or the 15-85, and others supplement it with a EF-S 10-22 or another wide angle lens for crop. If you don't miss the zoom range below 24mm, you're golden. Enjoy
    Arnt

This thing has quite a bit of zoom creep... that normal?

Re: Lens question

It shouldn't. How old is it?
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I don't know if it's normal, but I know it's quite common. My 24-105 will zoom in to 105 if I keep it hanging around the neck for a while. When this began to show up a couple of years ago (after I had it for 6 months or so), I googled it and got the impression that it's quite common. I'm sure the zoom mechanism can be tightened in some way, but it really doesn't annoy me too much so I haven't bothered fixing it.

I think mine has always done that. It has never really bothered me. Remember, the glass and structure of this lens is a lot heavier than the kit lenses you may be used to, so when it is hanging downward it is more likely to creep.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Ahhh that makes sense

I'm at a wedding (not a paid photographer) and am learning in difficult lessons about shooting in low light... ie avoid AF!