Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Train - Chama NM

Old Train - Chama NM

Critiques/Suggestions from the shot layout through post processing would be appreciated.

Taken in October with a 40D 70-200 L IS. Hand Held, was not expecting to take this shot.[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x700/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.07/Chama.jpg[/img]

Re: Old Train - Chama NM

Just giving it a quick look the horizon is tilted in an awkward way. It is just enough to be noticed but not enough to give an effect that might have been desired. Just a quick observation.

I like it... great picture, very very nice!

great shot!!! I actually like that the horizon is off kilter just a bit...gives the pic just a little more perspective. Just my opinion.

I've always liked trains, and this picture is great!

A couple of possible suggestions: It looks like it might be little crooked (this can be fixed on the computer). Also, it might be better if the train was a little lower in the frame? Maybe try cropping out the distracting rock at bottom.

I second Anthony's comments. I would rotate the canvas a few degrees CCW and then crop a bit to remove the rocks and plants in the foreground, maybe the bottom of the frame should be above the shadow that falls across the fence. I can see the issue that then you lose the space in front of the train that gives a sense of motion. I love the tree colors and the smoke.

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/700x1000/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.07/Chama2.jpg[/img]

Thanks for the advice. I had played with crop, but never really thought about the rotation. This was not a preplanned event and I was shooting from the side of a hill. Thanks again!

I like it better now. ;-)

Nice, its even better now!

There you go, much better. I like it. I live in Flagstaff and we have a dozen trains come through town every day, but no cool old locomotives.