Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Train - Chama NM

Re: Old Train - Chama NM

After taking another look at it, I thought it might look better as a landscape. Check out this quick edit I did:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.21.08/Chama-copy-small.jpg[/img]

Rotated clockwise 3 degrees, cropped, and did a little bit of burning (I hope you don't mind me doing this). ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

...I thought it might look better as a landscape.

I don't know, that looks good too, but I think I prefer the portrait orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony

I don't know, that looks good too, but I think I prefer the portrait orientation.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I'll second that. The second version (e.g the portrait) is the best.

I think that I like the portrait better, too. And adjusting the canvas actually did make it look much better. The portrait orientation gives life to the engine smoke, which plays into the whole scene of the train.

Speaking of old trains, while I was in New Hampshire this summer I visited the Cog Railway, the world's first of its kind, and this particular train is from 1874.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.61/picture_2D00_2.jpg[/img]

What kind of train is this? very odd.

It climbs a mountain. Rather than sending power to the outside wheels, it sends its power to a cog in the middle, and there is a middle section of the track that connects to the cog. Notice that the engine looks like it is pointing downward, but while it climbs, its quite horizontal.

Thats interesting, I don't think I've ever heard of those before. Were they only used in that area, or was it more wide spread?

I'm not sure, I know that there are severalrailroadslike this around the world, obviously all are used for steep ascents and/or descents.

To get a better idea of what this train conquers, here's Mt. Washington. You can see the train tracks where the trees have been cut.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.61/CIMG1627.JPG[/img]

- Max -

I agree with most people, I love the second crop.The old train looks great against the fall colors and the smoke really adds to the image.