Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I couldn't wait for Christmas

Thanks Guys, I took some pics earlier but nothing worth showing. The IQ seems great so far.

Here is my first impression, I just got home and had time to do just one check so I headed for the brick wall on the outside of the house. The 24-70mm II has quit a bit of lens distortion compared to the 24mm f/1.4 L. I pulled up Bryan's test and this was confirmed but since the below samples are on a crop body (1.3 1D IV) I wonder if it has more than it should.I think it is the norm and tomorrow will check with the 5D II. I don't think this will be a replacement for a good 24mm prime but the IQ is right up there.

Tomorrow should be fun

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...3&LensComp=480

The 24-70mm II @ f/2.8 on the 1D IV

24-70mm II by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr

24mm f/1.4L @ f/2.8 on the 1D IV

24mm f:1.4 by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr

Thanks HDNH, this post apparantly got me into the buying spirit as i just ordered a new 5Dmark3, a 17-40 f/4 L, and the largest of three Think Tank backpacks! Please do not post any additional purchases you make as this website has all of a sudden become an expensive site to vi$it! happy thanksgiving if you celebrate it and if not, go out and shoot a turkey anyway with your new lens. erno

Quote Originally Posted by erno james View Post
    Thanks HDNH, this post apparantly got me into the buying spirit as i just ordered a new 5Dmark3, a 17-40 f/4 L, and the largest of three Think Tank backpacks! Please do not post any additional purchases you make as this website has all of a sudden become an expensive site to vi$it! happy thanksgiving if you celebrate it and if not, go out and shoot a turkey anyway with your new lens. erno
    Congratz on the new camera.

Hmmm a new 5D III I need one of those to, or maybe a 1D X.

Congrats Erno, are you spending all your winnings from all these assignments you keep winning. Noone will stand a chance once you get this new gear.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Thanks Guys, I took some pics earlier but nothing worth showing. The IQ seems great so far.

Here is my first impression, I just got home and had time to do just one check so I headed for the brick wall on the outside of the house. The 24-70mm II has quit a bit of lens distortion compared to the 24mm f/1.4 L. I pulled up Bryan's test and this was confirmed but since the below samples are on a crop body (1.3 1D IV) I wonder if it has more than it should.I think it is the norm and tomorrow will check with the 5D II. I don't think this will be a replacement for a good 24mm prime but the IQ is right up there.

Tomorrow should be fun

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...3&LensComp=480

The 24-70mm II @ f/2.8 on the 1D IV

24-70mm II by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr

24mm f/1.4L @ f/2.8 on the 1D IV

24mm f:1.4 by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr
    The bricks are a good test pattern, the slight barrel distortion is seen as you mention. The corners look pretty dang good compared to the 24 prime!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    The bricks are a good test pattern, the slight barrel distortion is seen as you mention. The corners look pretty dang good compared to the 24 prime!
    I agree the corners are much better than v1 and the 24-105. I wonder what the f4 version as in store
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    I agree the corners are much better than v1 and the 24-105. I wonder what the f4 version as in store
    I am going to put it on the FF tomorrow and see how it compares to the 16-35, 24, 35 and 70-200mm L's.

From looking at the MTF charts it looks like the new 24-70 f/4 will be weak in comparison to others on the wide end and probably the sharpest of any zoom at 70mm. I really thought about waiting and possibly going that way, but I would regret not having f/2.8

I couldn't wait for Christmas

Too many new lenses from which to choose. I balked, and bought a Tripod Ring D for my 100L, RRS plates for that and the MP-E 65mm, an RRS macro rail package, and a pair of Wimberley macro flash brackets. Short days and long nights coming, macro time.

I have the Wimberley clamps that get the flash off and above my 500mm and it is really convenient and it made me a fan of the system. I have thought about buying the macro flash brackets to add to my macro set, they look like they would be very versatile and handy.

Which RRS rail package did you go for?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Too many new lenses from which to choose. I balked, and bought a Tripod Ring D for my 100L, RRS plates for that and the MP-E 65mm, an RRS macro rail package, and a pair of Wimberley macro flash brackets. Short days and long nights coming, macro time.
    I would like to get the MP-E-65mm and the Stack Shot system from Cognisys.