Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Night shots, failure, please advise

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stringer View Post
    The focus ring on most lenses will rotate beyond the infinity focus mark, which I think is only necessary if you are taking infra red photos with a film camera.
    Although that would not apply to an EF-S lens, since they don't work with film cameras, the ability to focus a little beyond infinity also allows for the effect of temperature (thermal expansion) on the focusing mechanism.

Good point, Neuro. I also forgot that some lenses don't even have a focus distance window or an infinity mark. I guess that's a consequence of being a long term sufferer of L disease.

Anyway, that wouldn't stop these lenses being focused beyond infinity. The lesson here is to avoid manual focus through the viewfinder in the dark if at all possible.
    Last edited by Andy Stringer; 11-20-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Stringer View Post
    I also forgot that some lenses don't even have a focus distance window or an infinity mark. I guess that's a consequence of being a long term sufferer of L disease.
    Good point! The kit-lens doesn't have a focus distance window It might not change the behavior of the strange values though.

With all the advise given I went out today to some spots close by just to give it another go.

Below are the results, didn't crop or anything. IS off, AF off, heavy tripod, live view magnified x 10 on one of the lights and focused so the light was as small as possible. I'm happy with the results myself

IMG_1567_Uden_Tronix_NightShots by Co'tje, on Flickr - Settings: 4 sec ƒ/9 ISO 100 27mm

Same position, cars passing by.

IMG_1566_Uden_Tronix_NightShots by Co'tje, on Flickr - Settings: 1 sec ƒ/4 ISO 100 27mm

Photo of a bicycle path with green street lighting.

IMG_1568_Uden_Tronix_NightShots by Co'tje, on Flickr - Settings: 30 sec ƒ/9 ISO 100 24mm

Please let me know what you think.

I learned a lot, thanks again!!
    Marco

That's much better, Marco. There is nothing wrong with the focus in these shots.

The effect of changing the aperture is also well illustrated. Compare the 'starburst' effect of the street lights in the first and last shots at f/9 with the more rounded light in the middle shot at f/4.

I think you can change the thread title to "Night shots, success!"

Looks like you figured it out, good job. You also found out how the smaller apertures (f/9) creates the star bursts around the lights.
    I like the third shot. Would be interesting to see that one without the first lamp post in the picture.
    Arnt

Yes! Very nice... I like the car passing one and the third one.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    I like the third shot. Would be interesting to see that one without the first lamp post in the picture.
    Also took that one but missed the greenish light from the lantern so I didn't post it, here it is anyways

IMG_1570 by Co'tje, on Flickr - Settings: 30 sec ƒ/11 ISO100 46mm

Haven't figured out what I like more myself, the sturburst effect or the rounded lights.

Cheers
    Marco

Nice shots Marco. You definitely got it right. I like the lighting in the 3rd photo.
    It's also nice of you to present a good demonstration between multiple apertures and how it affects the lights. I knew about it, but never really seen the effect in two similar photos

Quote Originally Posted by Marco van Eck View Post
    Haven't figured out what I like more myself, the sturburst effect or the rounded lights.

Cheers
    Marco
    Starburst is my preference.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr