Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting a bigger monitor.

Thinking about getting a bigger monitor.

So, right now I have a Dell U2410 which is their flagship 24 inch monitor. Even though it was a huge step up from the 20 inch monitor I had before, I still feel as though I need a bigger monitor.

I am thinking really hard about the U3011. The big boy. I would like to have the extra space, and the ability to see pictures more closely to their native resolution is a big draw for me.

Am I crazy?

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Re: Thinking about getting a bigger monitor.

A little crazy. Have you done the two-monitor setup yet to remove some of the junk. It's a cheaper route to going super big, but at the cost of a little bit of desk space.
    Haven't played with the bigger 30" series, but sometimes quality starts to slip when you reach the far extreme. Of course, going for companies who deal in the "bigger" picture will set you back substantially more.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnston View Post

Am I crazy?
    To answer this fully I think it would take more testing and analysis than we can provide here.

I have the big dell monitor at work that I bought 3 years ago. It works great and easy to view the big images. You probably should have a dedicated card for it if you want the most out of it though. I bought it for reviewing plans, for that I wish now I had bought a flat screen TV instead. But the quality of the big monitor I have is good enough for what we do with pictures.

At home I have a 24" monitor and it seems big enough.

You may be crazy, Dave, but not because you want a bigger monitor.

I got a dell 30" for exactly the same reason and it is great. It's hard to appreciate the quality of a high mp picture with a dinky 2 mp 24" monitor. The high resolution of the 30" makes it much nicer for viewing pictures.

If I were considering the monitor now, I *might* wait for a one with very high dot pitch (like the "retina" display).

Jon.

Cyber monday deal. $999 for the U3011. I went wild and bought it. Merry Christmas to me.

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Congratz and Merry Christmas to you.

Still 29 days left for some other goodies.

Congrats, Dave. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Nice! Enjoy it Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle View Post
    If I were considering the monitor now, I *might* wait for a one with very high dot pitch (like the "retina" display).
    Now here's the thing: Those 'retina' displays are basically just cramming pixels smaller and smaller, right? like the macbook has 2560x1600 or something, in 15", and the dell 30" has the same res but in 30". But last time I looked, DVI (and I think HDMI too) can only support a maximum resolution of, conveniently, 2560x1600. So getting higher res in the smaller screen makes sense and is possible. But jamming that kind of panel into a 30", even 4000x3000 or something, is that even possible using today's monitor cables? Maybe displayport can get higher than that? (the only displayport I have is my work laptop, with intel graphics, it struggles to even refresh my 27" dell.

And Merry xmas Dave. Coming from someone with the 27", you shan't be disappointed. What are the normal prices over there? In aus the 30" is $1700, 27" is $900 (I got mine on sale for $550).
    And has anyone around here heard about the new models with LED, eg the U2713 and U2412? They seem to have a lot better power consumption (mine is a furnace), but they're (in the case of the 24") half the price of the old-style. Do they have crap colours or something to match?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    What are the normal prices over there?
    Dell 30" is usually $1399
    Dell 27" is usually $999