Thread: EF 300 f/2.8 L IS II with 1.4x OR EF 400 f/4 L DO ???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

EF 300 f/2.8 L IS II with 1.4x OR EF 400 f/4 L DO ???

Hi,
    I am looking at buying a super telephoto and I have narrowed the choice between these two option:

EF 300 f/2.8 L IS II with 1.4x --> plus = fast, sharp, better IS / minus = price, weight
    EF 400 f/4 L DO --> plus = light / minus = old, low contrast, optical quality

I know that the contrast and quality can be taken up a notch in Post processing for the EF 400 and that the light weight is very interesting but the sharpness, better IS and the versatility of the EF 300 package with the extender is interesting too.

Can anyone share their toughts on these choices? Mostly about the EF 400 DO. I'm looking into renting one to experience the lens for myself.

Right now I am leaning toward the EF 300 combo or should I wait to see if the EF 400 F/4 L IS comes true?

I also already own an EF 70-200 f/2.8L and a EF 2x

Thanks,

Andre

Hi Andre,
    I have the 300 2.8L II and absolutely love this lens with both the 1.4 and 2X III tele's. I find it light weight enough to carry along backpacking (b/c wildlife photography is a keen interest). It is the best IQ lens Canon has out at the moment and the performance w both tele's is very good. The close focus distance w the 2X makes for a powerful combo for avian photography when you can get close. IMO if you can afford the price you will be delighted with this lens - even with the added weight over the 400 DO. From the ISO charts the 300 with either converter has better IQ that the 400 DO. If you buy the 1.4X tele, you'll then have a very nice flexible range when you include your 70-200 f/2.8L as well.

I do recommend renting from Lens Rentals from this site if you really want a first hand test. I did this when deciding b/t the 500 f/4L II and the 600. It was money well spent (though not cheap) and I decided on the 600 after lugging it around successfully. (It is why the 300 feels light to me now!) Good luck.

Thanks Vern,

it is my feeling also. I have rented the EF 300 before and used it with my 2X and I was very happy with the results.
    I'm looking right now to rent the EF 400 DO but there is not a lot of places in Canada that rent this lens (I have found Lens Rentals Canada)

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

I have tossed this in my mind for a very long time before this post, and it really depends on your priorities. Do you want a the best optical quailities and all the (usefull) bells and whistles of the new lenses. Or is weight, balance and convienece a top priority.

The 400mm DO is shorter and light, with having a longer focal length you can use the shorter 1.4 extender to achieve nearly the same focal length as the 300mm f/2.8 II and achieve better balance which aids in hand holding.

Bryan hasn't reported huge AF speed gains (actually quite hard to tell the difference) in the mark-II super-tele lenses so the 400mm will focus cosiderably faster than the at 400mm and 560mm. Remember, the 1.4 extender will cut your AF speed by 50% and the 2x extender by 100%. I'm pretty sure that there is not twice the AF speed between the 300mm and 400mm both native.

Also is 800mm f/8 important to you, you will either have to have a 1-series body, tape the pins or MF.

But IQ is not as good, more so in the contrast department than the sharpness. But it's still a downfall for this lens.

Do you need/want better IS? If you are like me and don't push you shutter speed much below 160th of a sec (birds are always statues) than this may not be as a big a deal for you, although you "probably" will get slighly better results with the new IS and the same shutter speeds.

Overall if I had to choose one or the other I would have a very hard time and would rent them both first. IQ is a big deal for me as much as AF speed is. Light weight is a plus also.

Cheers,
    John.
    Last edited by FastGass; 11-25-2012 at 08:40 PM.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    EDIT: Checking back for info on the v3 extenders I find 50 and 75% ratings for the impact on AF speed. I suppose this is a testament to the speed of the AF drive in the 300 mm lens that I never noticed any practical difference.
    I haven't noticed the AF speed reduction either and have used the 2X III + 300 2.8 II for photographing actively feeding hummers w success. I guess it might show up in my fast dog application in the other recent thread on 5DMK III AF performance. However, I'm not likely to run the experiment - too many variables, too little time.

Thanks Guys, I'm pretty sure I will go with the 300 since a get a fast lens with good optical qualities with extenders albeit in a heavier package. I find this setup more versatile.
    I will try to rent the 400 before I make my purchase just to be sure....

Thanks again for the feedback

André