Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Lighting shooting help

Low Lighting shooting help

Yes - HSS drops your power/brightness/range by about 1/3.

1/3 is pretty acceptable to me. It's incredibly bright as it is, so if that takes the edge of it it could work well

Try this to experience the difference between flash duration and shutter speed. Step the shutter speed up from 15th to 200th while panning in your darkened living room.

The the flash duration is very, very short, so unless there is a lot of relative ambient you won't see much blur (adjust the f stop & iso accordingly to balance between ambient & flash). Brighten the room bit by bit and you will see the "trails" of the image after the flash with 1st curtain sync - change to 2nd curtain sync and you will see "leads" to the image.

There are soooooooo many cool things you can do w/ a flash - I don't know if the 430 has multi-setting - (where the flash fires several times during the single exposure) that could be really interesting at a concert with a long shutter setting.

Again, play, play, practice, fiddle. And welcome to the cool world of photo

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    1/3 is pretty acceptable to me. It's incredibly bright as it is, so if that takes the edge of it it could work well
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 11-23-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: typo
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

While I am on the topic, does anyone know if the 270II can be used as a Master/Controller. I have used the flash on the t3i to trigger the slaves, but the 5dIII doesn't have a built in flash.... If not, how far up the Canon line do I have to chase to get a flash that is act as a master/controller?

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    While I am on the topic, does anyone know if the 270II can be used as a Master/Controller. I have used the flash on the t3i to trigger the slaves, but the 5dIII doesn't have a built in flash.... If not, how far up the Canon line do I have to chase to get a flash that is act as a master/controller?
    The 270EX II is slave only. Used to be you had to go to the 580/600 to get a master flash (or ST-E2 if you skipped the flash part). But now, you only need to go as high as the bottom - the new 90EX functions as a master, for $150! It is limited in both range and functionality (12-16 ft, no HSS support for remotes, etc.), but it's cheap and does the basic stuff.

Stood in a pitch black room, set the camera to 1/1000 and took a shot... It looks like daytime :/ I love the flash looks great but wish it looked a tad darker hahaha

Now my concern is it'll be too bright and it won't look like a night club gig

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    Now my concern is it'll be too bright and it won't look like a night club gig
    That's why there's Flash Exposure Compensation - just dial down the flash a bit...

That's what I've done but even by 1/3 it seems to be much darker. Oh well, I've got a week to practice

Squidy, I think that flash compensation was 1/3 a stop, which won't be much... play more . You want to get as little flash as possible so ISO 1600 or 3200, as wide an aperture as possible - shutter speed just north of 60th perhaps 125th, that will keep the amount of light pouring out of the flash a minimal as possible.

You can test this by leaving all the setting the same, except ISO and use a remote if you have one and take a couple of self portraits - you will see quickly the differences in flash output.

Neuro - thanks on the 90. I used to use the popup flash on the t3i to master the 580 off camera. Now I will get the 90 and it can function as my "pop up"

Mike

Oh so the flash lowers itself judging by how much light the shutter lets in? Wow, didn't know that but it makes sense now