Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone got the EOS M? Thoughts?

I'm intrigued by mirrorless cameras as pocket-sized alternatives to DSLRs, but from [nearly] all accounts Canon has really fumbled the M: it does nothing new that competing mirrorless cameras have been doing for years and the AF is worse than the competition. I love Canon's pro DSLRs, lenses and video equipment, but I've had quality problems with their consumer point-and-shoot and Mini-DV video cameras. Based on those experiences and the horrible reviews of the M, I won't be adding Canon's mirrorless to my wish list. If I were you, I would go with Sony or Nikon or someone else who has a proven better mirrorless product. Don't get mesmerized just because it says "Canon" on it.

Cute video. I still want to play with one for a day or so before making up my mind.

Larry

I'm not mesmerised by the brand so much as the deal that's available. My plan really was to wait a few more years before considering a true mirrorless system, as their AF is all below what I need for my sort of thing, so if the M is even worse... I'll skip it.

Quote Originally Posted by ham View Post
    I'm not mesmerised by the brand so much as the deal that's available. My plan really was to wait a few more years before considering a true mirrorless system, as their AF is all below what I need for my sort of thing, so if the M is even worse... I'll skip it.
    Yep, my feelings exactly - really wanted the M to be something that was useful... alas,....

I am good for now with my two "3"s (T3i and 5d3) - though I hope the big "C" follow N or should I say S in the mega pixel landscape race.

Canon is going to have to come through with some pretty big functional step ups for me to get any different bodies than these.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Bought One

Well, I bought one. My old P&S carry everywhere SD870 died a smashing death, and I wanted something with much better image quality that I could carry everywhere. I fly a small plane and wanted a camera I could use easily in the cabin. I did get it with the 18-55 lens so it is not exactly not a carry everywhere, but.

I have had it for several days and here are my impressions. My wife said it was cute, and it is. I like the way the neck strap attaches to the camera. I found the controls easy to figure out and intuitive. I quickly found that I did not want the “Touch shutter” activated. Took a picture every time I touched it.

I am not one for using a camera’s “creative settings.” I will apply my own in post. I want pure images. I used aperture priority pretty exclusively during the last few days.

I am used to a heavy gripped 5DMII held tightly against my face. Holding this little camera steady will take some practice. And I miss image stabilization in the lens. I can’t use as low of shutter speeds hand-held as I can with the MKII.

I found the focus speed was fine most of the time. It did hunt for awhile in low light, but one would expect that. In my opinion, it was not as bad as I was expecting from the reviews and parody movie clip shown in this thread.

There is certainly more noise in the images than I am used to with a 5DMII. There is also more chromatic aberration than I am used to with the 5D and L glass.

Rainy snowy day at the airport.

I did notice a significant amount of barrel distortion in the lens, particularly at 18mm.

I am happy with the camera. It will get a good testing next week; we will be on a nice warm Caribbean cruise.

Larry

Larry,

Based off what I've read the EF-M 22mm is supposed to be an excellent little lens. I think you should consider it. Happy shooting!

Dave

I just read a review (on another forum) that mentioned the "touch to shoot" function is fast and accurate. There is no digital zoom though, so it's pretty much useless at macro.

There's a speculation over on CR about a new firmware being expected that might improve AF performance; of course that's CR, so let's not hold our breath until it's posted here in the News section, but perhaps Canon will do something to catch up...

Senior Member francongphotography's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin500 View Post
    There's a speculation over on CR about a new firmware being expected that might improve AF performance; of course that's CR, so let's not hold our breath until it's posted here in the News section, but perhaps Canon will do something to catch up...
    +1, You should wait and see if the firmware really improves the AF performance.
    Canon 5D Mk II, 550D/T2i, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 L USM, 17-40mm f/4 L USM, 24-105mm f/4 L USM, 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM, 320EX speedlite

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/franco_ng/