Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking forward to TDP review of 6D!

Looking forward to TDP review of 6D!

TDP could be the first real review. There are no others out there yet.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

I'm confused by the 6D, I wonder what market its after. It has a SD card slot so it's not after pro/semipro users. Wouldn't you be better off with a 5D III?

I hope Bryan will be able to shed some light on this body, because Canon have confused me (OK thats not difficult).
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    I'm confused by the 6D, I wonder what market its after. It has a SD card slot so it's not after pro/semipro users. Wouldn't you be better off with a 5D III?
    I hope Bryan will be able to shed some light on this body, because Canon have confused me (OK thats not difficult).
    Id say that if you can afford the 5D3, then get a 5D3. The reason the 6D confuses me is that it's practically identical to the 5D mk2, just newer, smaller, lighter, SD-card, etc. But then it's launching a few $hundred above what the 5D2 costs new.
    So i'm definitely interested in a TDP review, especially Bryan's noise/cloth patches which show noise vs detail (most other places like DXO just show noise as an absolute).
    There's gotta be something that makes it worth the difference from the 5D2, i don't think it's the AF, maybe it's a lot more sealed than the 5D2, maybe it's the wifi/gps for those who might use it. The only thing that would make it worth more to me would be the IQ (and it'd have to be at least 5D3-level IQ to justify cutting all those other features for the price).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Looking forward to TDP review of 6D!

What may differentiate the 6D from the 5DII is simply availability. Canon discontinues the 5DII once the 6D is widely available, new 5DII stock dries up, and anyone in the market for a new Canon FF has the 6D, 5DIII, and 1D X from which to choose.

In the 6D review stub here, there is a Canon provided chart on improvements over the 5DmkII, including burst rate, ISO, shutter lag, focus points, metering, AF sensitivity, and bulk/weight. That right there can justify the expense over the 5D2.

I'm expecting a similar sensor to the 5D3, and 1DX, so better high ISO than than a 5D2. Everyone's pet peeve about the 5D2 was autofocus, and I'm expecting that to be improved too. I'm very curious about it's servo performance. Does Canon think the viewfinder, extra resolution, extra burst rate and extra focus points are enough to keep the pros from getting a 6D, or will they cripple it somehow?

I'm hoping this camera kicks ass, nobody realizes it, and Canon drops the price quickly. A man can dream, can't he?

There's definitely pluses over the 5D2.

-- Size, some maybe argue they want the bigger body but DSLRs are big as it is and the smaller size of 6D can be a plus for some. Plus the body still has a substantial portion that is magnesium alloy.
    -- SD card is actually a plus for non-7D upgraders because we already have SD cards. CF cards would be another investment.
    -- Modern design
    -- Reported low light capability
    -- Improved ISO performance that appears equal to 5D3.
    -- Silent shutter option
    -- Some may have no use for WIFI, GPS but I'm sure many people will take advantage of those

There's a large portion of people who flat out just can't afford a 5D Mark III. Once the 6D price is reduced to $1500 - $1750 I think it will open possibilities to more people. I know I couldn't look my wife in the face if I dropped $3,000 on a 5D3.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stephen View Post
    TDP could be the first real review. There are no others out there yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKSYEbbIdpc

This is the only one I've seen. Little on the silly side, but has some good information in there anyway.

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnston View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKSYEbbIdpc

This is the only one I've seen. Little on the silly side, but has some good information in there anyway.

Dave.
    Agreed. Kai is a bit obnoxious at times and his constant walking around bit drives me nuts, but there were some good points in that video. I was thinking 5D MkII for Xmas, but now I'm reconsidering and may spring for the 6D.
    Mark - Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    There's definitely pluses over the 5D2.
    -- SD card is actually a plus for non-7D upgraders because we already have SD cards. CF cards would be another investment.
    -- Some may have no use for WIFI, GPS but I'm sure many people will take advantage of those

Dave
    When I thought about the SD card slot, I admit it was from my point of view being a CF card user. The idea that this is designed to be an upgrade for xxD & xxxD users is obvious when you think about it.

I think the WiFi & GPS will be standard on all cameras soon. Canon may be using this body to test how well it works before installing it in the 1D body. Once you use Geotagging, you will wonder how you ever did without it.

Well as for WiFi, a few years ago I watched a wedding photo shoot (Pro). It was in a busy inner city lane way, two shooters with the boss sitting at a laptop, in a Café watching the shoot. The boss would control the shooters and the setup via a guy who run between the shooter and the boss. As each set of shots are taken the CF cards are swapped and taken back to the boss on the laptop. Each image was studied in great detail before adjusting the shot or moving on to the next setup.

With WiFi, images are sent to the laptop as they are shot. I think WiFi, in the long term, is aimed at the pro market.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post

Once you use Geotagging, you will wonder how you ever did without it.
    How so? What does it do for you? I understand it marks location in the EXIF, but what is the advantage in that for the average photog? I know where my shots were taken. I suppose you could use the geotagging data in the EXIF to store and sort images, but for most folks I don't think they get that fine grained. For instance, I have folders called London or Vegas and then they're broken down into Day One, Day Two, etc. Easy enough to do without geotagging. I can see where geotagging would be handy for posting to Google maps or some such thing, but otherwise I'm not too clear on what other advantages there are in using it.
    Mark - Flickr