Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 24-105 front focusing, or ?

I sent it back for exchange, took it to UPS on the Tuesday before thanksgiving. I have been tracking it. It didn't leave my City though until the next Monday. It arrived in New York Wednesday and twice it has been stuck on a truck. It looks like B&H will receive it on Monday. Hopefully I will have another copy by the end of next week.

That copy was prime sharp at 24-50mm. It fell off from 50mm and was its softest at 70mm like others have reported on some copies. In itself that wasn't bad but it had a AF issue where it was back focusing at 50mm and not at other distances, that was bad. I think it will be an excellent lens if a person can get a good copy.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    I sent it back for exchange, took it to UPS on the Tuesday before thanksgiving. I have been tracking it. It didn't leave my City though until the next Monday. It arrived in New York Wednesday and twice it has been stuck on a truck. It looks like B&H will receive it on Monday. Hopefully I will have another copy by the end of next week.

That copy was prime sharp at 24-50mm. It fell off from 50mm and was its softest at 70mm like others have reported on some copies. In itself that wasn't bad but it had a AF issue where it was back focusing at 50mm and not at other distances, that was bad. I think it will be an excellent lens if a person can get a good copy.
    Hmmm sounds like Canon has a QC issue - I can wait -
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

24-105 front focusing, or ?

Quote Originally Posted by shutterdown View Post
    Rick, when you say "bumped it" do you mean the camera? If so, I guess it's possible that I could have bumped it.
    At one point, I dropped my 5DII to the pavement. Not a scratch, and everything worked fine - but the AFMA values for all my lenses shifted ~10 units more negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Hmmm sounds like Canon has a QC issue - I can wait -
    Or just make sure you have a supplier with a good return policy, and have time to check out the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    At one point, I dropped my 5DII to the pavement.
    Yes, that would qualify as a bump! Ouch! For me, if I had this happen, Murphy's Law would have prevailed, and I'd need some Kleenex to deal with the tears.

Hmm, you all are scaring me. My 5DII with the 24-105 on has taken a couple of tumbles. Looks like I need to invest in some calibration equipment and spend some quality time.

Larry

24-105 front focusing, or ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoff View Post
    Hmm, you all are scaring me. My 5DII with the 24-105 on has taken a couple of tumbles. Looks like I need to invest in some calibration equipment and spend some quality time.
    Get Reikan FoCal. Best way to do AFMA, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Get Reikan FoCal. Best way to do AFMA, IMO.
    Please tell me more about this. I went to the web site. They make it sound easy, fool proof.

Is it?

Which version do you use?

Thanks.

I bought Focal two weeks ago when I got the new 24-70, I thought it was time to move on from the lensalign.

Last week I went through all my lenses and did the adjustment. Almost all were the same as I had tested with the lensalign. I bought the pro version.
    I think if you took detail in setting up for the lensalign setting up for FoCal will be second nature for you.
    Make sure you have enough light. Measure and set up fairly accurately, the center of lens the same height as the target off floor. Have a stable tripod. Make sure your camera body is square with the target.

The hardest part for me was smoothing things over with the wife, who had to tolerate the living room heating up from the lights I set up.

Thanks for the reference for FoCal. I have been going through their web site, and it looks like a purchase will happen soon.

Larry