Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 24-105 front focusing, or ?

24-105 front focusing, or ?

I also have the Pro version, been using it since it was first released. As Rick stated, values agree very well with LensAlign provided care was taken with the LensAlign process (I know a little about that ).

For FoCal, a stable tripod and lots of light, and then it is nearly foolproof. The target setup feature facilitates alignment. Vibration can be an issue - with hardwood floors, walking around caused issues, moved setup to basement, no more issues. Also, no fluorescent lighting or AC/mains powered LED lighting - incandescent (tungsten or halogen) is the way to go.

So, a 500 watt halogen work light should do the trick?

Yes at a minimum IMO....but.....

I bought a pair of 500 halogens and the problem I had was shadow cast from the halogen bulbs themselves. Not from obstructions, the lamps themselves create uneven light. I had to position the light just right to make them usefull.

I would recomend using several smaller lights rather than just one big light. I have always used a couple of 200 watt incandescents placed at diffrent locations it gives a more even spread. But...that is just my opinion. One big halogen might work fine.

Check the EV report when it starts, make sure it is up 10 or 11 or so. You will see this pop up with your setting information on each shot. If it is to low reposition your lights. FoCal I think recomended 8 or better.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 12-03-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Could one use a couple of bare flashes or do you need continuous light?

Larry

24-105 front focusing, or ?

Continuous light. You want it nice and bright for the AF system, in addition to the actual shot.