Thread: Rocky Butte Panorama

Rocky Butte Panorama

Have a look at this panorama of Rocky Butte (in Portland OR) I took this winter. It was stitched from three pictures taken at sunfall. The mountain on the left is Mnt St Hellens, and on the right is Hood. The orrigional is over 8k pixels wide

What do you think? Strengths and weaknesses? What would you change or keep the same?

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.01/Smaller-Rockybutte.jpg[/img]

I cut it into an oval because the corners were not contributing at all to the picture, I also just think it looks neat.

thanks

Re: Rocky Butte Panorama

I may be in the minority on this one, but I don't like the oval crop. The composition isn't terribly interesting to begin with (although a beautiful place, obviously). Having the horizon in basically the middle of the frame contradicts the rule of thirds, but it doesn't look bad in the photo. I think the photo would be better if there was a single well-lit human subject in it. I think the contents of the photo (as is) would be a great backdrop, but in my humble opinion it isn't interesting enough to stand on its own. Maybe if you were closer to the mountain and it was more of a presence in the photo, I'd like it better....

Keep in mind I'm not a landscape photographer, so you might want to take my thoughts with a grain of salt... :-)

I too am not a fan of the oval crop, it grabs my attention way too much, and it takes away from the picture, which if is cropped in a normal rectangle, would probably look very good. I would also try cropping tighter to get less grass and a better view of the mountains, just to see how it looks anyways.

How is this compared to the first post?

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.01/Rocky-Small2-_2800_1-of-1_29002D00_2.jpg[/img]

The upload process changed the colors a bit this time around, I'm afraid.

thanks

Actually, I like this one alot better. The crop really frames the volcano much better (the viewer is drawn to the area right between the two lightstands, but the trees give the picture some balance).

Hello, Samwise! That's an excellent photo. I live in SE Vancouver and I haven't been up to Rocky Butte in a few years, but your landscape makes me want to check it out again. In 2007 I tried to get a shot of Comet McNaught and Rocky Butte in the same scene, but I couldn't make it work.