Thread: Source here says 6D better ISO noise than 5d3 and 600D?

Source here says 6D better ISO noise than 5d3 and 600D?

Found this: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1171136.

Also, title should say "D600" and not "600D". Curse you, convergent product numbering schemes!
    Last edited by Scott Stephen; 12-04-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

Sweet. My crystal balls sees a 6D in my future.
    Mark - Flickr

Well, I've said many times that the 6D would have to have kickass IQ in order to justify its total lack of features and higher price that 5D2, or it'd be DOA.

Wow, seems like it might not be DOA.
    (and if it weren't for having to re-invest in an SD card system, I might even be getting interested in it right now)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Well, I've said many times that the 6D would have to have kickass IQ in order to justify its total lack of features and higher price that 5D2, or it'd be DOA.

Wow, seems like it might not be DOA.
    (and if it weren't for having to re-invest in an SD card system, I might even be getting interested in it right now)
    Another plus in the asset column for me. I have a bunch of SD card storage from my T1i use. It'd be nice to put them back to work. Plus SD cards are really getting cheap.
    Mark - Flickr

Source here shows High ISO noise better than 5D3 also:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...aspx?News=3633

It's looking almost similar to the 1DX at low iso, it's only at 12k that I can start seeing the 1DX pulling away (at least to my eyes).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

The 102400 shots look like my old Sony H1 at ISO 200, except the H1 has a lot more chroma noise. In fact, the 1DX and 5DmkIII are all showing chroma noise at high ISO, but the 6D isn't? Is there some sort of new magic at play here? Old DPP vs. New DPP? Bryan's text doesn't even mention this odd phenomenon.

edit: Apparently I'm an idiot. I was looking at 6D noise reduced images, not non-noise reduced simply because regular 6D wasn't sitting next to the 6D NR images, so I didn't even notice they were there.
    Last edited by DavidEccleston; 12-06-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Some SOOC shots here at 12800 ISO. If they are indeed SOOC, this is going to be a fun camera.
    Mark - Flickr

The 6D has really impresive noise levels.

Here is what I did to compare;

I downloaded the 1DX, 6D, 5D II and 5D III noise blocks at 25,600 ISO.

I cropped away the borders, except for the 5D III, so it only shows that paricular camera's sample,
    and saved in 16-bit Tiff.

I reduced all the images so there were all the same size (1DX size since it was the smallest).

I sharpened all the images except the 1DX (since it wasn't reduced and the sharpest) so they were as close to each other as possible.

I compared them all with and without noise reduction and the best is the 1DX (by a very, very slight amount), 6D, 5D III and 5D II.

I was really suprised how well the 6D compared to the 1DX, at first glance I thought they were the same but after looking hard I could tell the 1DX was still ever so slighly better. There were jpeg artifacts in the other samples except the 1DX so the 6D could be even closer to the 1DX.

At much higher ISO's the 1DX just looking at the charts has a greater margin of difference, but the IQ is quite bad at those ISO's and wouldn't use them hardly at all.

I didn't post them here because the downrezing method of this site greatly softens the images, but it's not hard to do and you can comapre other bodies that way too.

Cheers,
    John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!