Thread: Underwater Options

Underwater Options

I have been kicking around the idea of getting an underwater camera such as the D20 or getting an S110 (or S100) with water proof housing. I was wondering if anyone else had used either and had any thoughts? I would have two primary purposes 1) kayaking: I do take my 7D kayaking, but it is in a think tank holster in a dry bag. For bird shots, I'll still need the 7D, but just for every day shots, a waterproof P&S would be much more convenient; 2) Snorkeling. I don't do it often, but if given the chance I do and would like to improve on the pictures I get back with those waterproof kodak cameras.

Of course, waterproof housing for the 7D could be an option....but I am not sure I am ready for that expense.

Thanks in advance....Brant

From a budget standpoint, the S100 and housing seems like a great option (and one I'm considering, myself). Personally, I don't see much about the S110 that makes it a step up from the S100.

As for the housing, the Ikelite one is probably better quality for not too much more money (B&H sells it as a kit with the S100 for $600). The Canon one would likely be just fine for above water and snorkeling, but for diving I'm inclined to the Ikelite.

The other option I'm considering is the Sony RX100 with the Ikelite housing. That big (relatiely) sensor would be good for the higher ISOs needed underwater (although for diving, a strobe will still be needed).

Underwater Options

Thanks John.