Thread: canon 100-400mm lens, should I at £990?

canon 100-400mm lens, should I at £990?

I've seen a really good offer for the 100-400 lens, it basically puts the price at £990 (uk price)

Now should I buy it? From what I've been reading is that everyone loves this lens, its versatile and produces great pictures but, correct me if I'm wrong, rumors float around about a possible mark ii or this lens?

I'll probably go ahead and buy the lens but is there any reason why i shouldn't?

thanks for your advice and comments.

A

Thanks for your reply. The reason I ask is that I will be taking this lens to Antarctica but in over a years time. I've only heard good things about this lens and I also own the 24-105, but the offer at the moment is too good to turn down in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by parmara007 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. The reason I ask is that I will be taking this lens to Antarctica but in over a years time. I've only heard good things about this lens and I also own the 24-105, but the offer at the moment is too good to turn down in my opinion.
    I agree. For a trip to Antarctica this would be a great lens to have on your camera.
    By the way, welcome to the forum. What camera body do you have? Tell us a bit about yourself. Fill out the About Me on your profile.
    Look forward to some images from Antarctica next year.
    Mark

I forgot to do that but will do.

I will be running the 5D3 when I've eventually upgraded to it but I've been using the 450d for years when I started off in photography. I'm actually in the process of upgrading my whole kit for this trip. I'll be adding the 16-35 f2.8.

canon 100-400mm lens, should I at £990?

It's a great lens. A new version has been rumored for several years but has not appeared. If one does, it will likely be double that price. I say get it...

Based on rumors there are 2 patents that exist for this Lens's mark 2 version. and one of them is a Ring Style zoom rather than the push-pull design.

I rented this lens a while ago and optically there is nothing I can fault on this lens. My only issue was the Jerking off action of the Push-Pull design (using such a design for the first time)

I am waiting for the ring type zoom version of this lens but I can wait as I am in no hurry at all. I guess (my personal opinion) it would be worth putting an extra 200-300 dollars for the new design (If it comes out).

Quote Originally Posted by DSLR_Newbie View Post
    I guess (my personal opinion) it would be worth putting an extra 200-300 dollars for the new design (If it comes out).
    I like your optimism, but $600-800 extra might be more likely...

I have the lens and find the focal range is perfect for my needs. Mostly that is grand kid sports and occasional wildlife. I was worried about the push-pull zoom, but have gotten used to it. Just keep the tension adjustment loose enough to slide easily but not slip.

Larry