Thread: 40D vs 500D

40D vs 500D

Looks like 40D will be discontinued pretty soon and some Canon dealers are really slashing their prices. I've been thinking about upgrading my 400D to 500D (or wait a few months for 60D...) but now it's actually cheaper to get a 40D than 500D (in Australia anyway), would it be a wise move to buy 40D instead of the new 500D (and no, I don't care about any video capabilities)?

Re: 40D vs 500D

Personally, I'd go with the 40D. You can compare both of them side by side and see yourself - I just did that... and to me at least, the 500D has only 2 advantages over the 40D:

1. VGA screen

2. HDMI port

...and #2 is not that important, the 6.5fps of the 40D for example, or the info LCD on the top of the 40D, are much better if I had to choose between them or the HDMI port.

Here is a quick link to compare the 2 cameras side by side on dpreview.com:

brand new 500D vs. good ole' 40D

Ohh and I forgot 40D's 95% coverage, 0.95x magnification pentaprism as opposed to 500D's 95% coverage, 0.87x magnification pentamirror.

Have to agree with Oren. I upgraded from the Rebel XT (350D) when the 40D was first out and I've not seen anything come in the XXXD line that would make me want to go backwards. My primary reason for upgrading at the time was the viewfinder. With the pentaprism, the viewfinder on the XXD series cameras is so much bigger and brighter. It makes a huge difference when shooting critically focused subjects (I shoot a lot of macro). Beyond that, the 6.5 fps, physical size and construction were all strong selling points. While the newest XXXD's may have more "toys" and higher resolutions, the 40D is still a better camera IMHO.

I have bought the 40d (my first SLR) 6 months ago and if there could be any buyers remorse, it is only because the 50d was released a few months later. But other than that, and after many months of comparing Nikons and Canons(the XXXD series), for the build quality, camera capabilities and my budget, 40d was the best choice. Ofcourse if today I had to choose between 40D and an another camera i would only go for the 50d.

To cut a long story short, if you have to choose between 40D and a XXXD camera and for the same price, i would say go for the 40D

Cheers!

Dev

For me, the ergonomics and controls of the 40D series is enough to recommend it over the Rebels. I find that the Rebel cameras are too small and the settings are not as easy to change in a fast paced environment. The 500D has a newer sensor with higher resolution as well as some other features that best the 40D, but there are still many features in favor of the 40D.

As with everyone else, I would take the 40D. I currently have a 40D, and have no immediate plan to upgrade. My next step would be full frame.

Some of the new features presented in the 500D/Rebel T1i are welcome, but don't really seem like major selling points that trump the 40D. The ergonomics, controls, and overall feel is what really makes the 40D a joy to use for me. Toss in a better AF system, top LCD, larger viewfinder, and faster frame rate (although not a big deal to some), and you have this wonderful photographic machine known as the 40D.

The features in the 40D make a big difference for me when time is of the essence. Things like the top LCD, or having ISO in the viewfinder really simplify the workflow.