Thread: Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT | Pressure Test

Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT | Pressure Test

I had the day off today and some spare time so I went outside to see how much range I could get out of my ST-E3-RT. This was by no means scientific, and since I had line of sight it was probably at least close to a best case scenario. Either way, I was more than thrilled with the results.

The claim: "two-way wireless transmission up to 98.4 feet" Canon

The results: 415 feet!

The method: I placed a Speedlite 600EX-RT on a light stand in the street in front of my house. With my 5DIII and ST-E3-RT I started walking backwards while clicking :-) I would stop at about 25 foot increments and took a few shots. I did this until the flash no longer fired. I did have successful triggers past the 415 foot mark but they were sporadic. At 415 feet I was able to take a succession of successful flash triggers in both Manual and ETTL.

I wouldn't expect these results in the field unless you were literally shooting in a field of course :-) I do think it was a worth while exercise though and shows that Canon was very conservative with their specs.

Here's what it looks like:

1/200 @ f/14 @ 105mm

Name:  2012-12-13 | 15.10.18.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  162.5 KB
    Last edited by Mark Elberson; 12-13-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Are you also satisfied with the ST E3 RT as a trigger as opposed to having a additional 600?
    I have not pulled the plug yet on this purchase and am interested in your feedback.
    Is the top screen a problem or not an issue?

Thanks for the test

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    Are you also satisfied with the ST E3 RT as a trigger as opposed to having a additional 600?
    Very much so. I waited quite a while before I pulled the trigger. I'm glad I did too. I have (3) 600EX-RTs. My basic setup was 1 on camera (fill) 1 on a stand (key) and 1 on a stand (rim). I'll still use that setup a lot too because it works well. I do like having the option of using the ST-E3-RT on camera so that I can gang (2) 600s together and use the 3rd as rim or if I have a natural rim I can even gang (3) together and shoot them into an umbrella. It gives me more options. I also thought, another $300 gets me a 4th flash but I don't think I want a 4th 600. If I need more power then I'll use a monolight. The ST-E3-RT is light weight, works likes a charm and costs half as much as a 600. For me it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    Is the top screen a problem or not an issue?
    So far it has not been. What's the concern? Not bright enough? I like it, I look down and it's right there. I actually find it easier to manipulate than the vertical screen on the flashes.

Wow on the 415 feet. I haven't tried that kind of distance, but I am loving the radio as opposed to the infrared. I am regularly using the ST-E3 RT with two 600s. Not having an additional thing (Pocket Wizard) to set up and having control from the ST-E3, even on an "old" 5DMII is fantastic.

Larry