Thread: Instagram just got scary

Instagram just got scary

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...l-your-photos/

So that's either going to:
    a) make them a lot of money selling stuff they don't own.
    b) end up in one massive messy lawsuit if it turns out to be against the law (like the digital millenium copyright or something)
    c) kill it, as people will be scared off. (I would, if I used it, but I don't).

I'd be thinking c), personally hoping for c) (because if this kills instagram then companies in future might not try do it again), but somehow I'm not so sure because instagram is used by a lot of kiddies with iphones who can't even spell 'copyright'.

Sigh.
    At least my not-so-instant-grams are safe this time, in a big folder labeled "films".
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Thanks for the heads up. I don't use Instagram. But if I ever hear of anything like this from flickr, facebook or any other website I use, I'll be canceling my account.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I don't use Instagram. But if I ever hear of anything like this from flickr, facebook or any other website I use, I'll be canceling my account.
    Then say sayonara to your Facebook account...

Facebook has had the same policy in place for a few years now. Facebook bought Instagram earlier this year, and are now bringing Instagram's T&C in line with their own.

Facebook's fine print (I added the emphasis):

Quote Originally Posted by Facebook
    You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition:
    1. For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

I understood this as part of Facebook a long time ago and don't really use instagram. I tried it, but don't like it at all. I purchased snapseed when it was app of the week a while back and really enjoy using it and my regular camera. I am sure many people don't know the facebook policy and post at will. I know I have things out there on facebook that I wouldn't want them to use as marketing, but I have my watermark on anything I think might be used for something.

Something I have been wondering...what about when they sell something to advertise and there is a person in that photo without a model release or property without a property release? What are the legal ramifications of that?

[QUOTE=neuroanatomist;79370]Then say sayonara to your Facebook account...

QUOTE]

Ha....maybe I should. I usually just end up disappointed how many of my friends have "liked" something like Walmart or Oreo cookies. Really, my main purpose for facebook is for sharing photos with my family..sometimes with friends. But I had heard about this awhile ago, and what I understood at that time was that the above language applied to photos posted as "public." I usually post my photos to only allow access to "friends," thus I am under the illusion that their policy would be to not distribute my photos. I believe I also altered something in my privacy settings, but that was a few years ago.

Is my assumption incorrect? BTW, this brings up another question, are there better ways to share photos with your family/friends?

Also, I've assumed that most photo sharing sites have to have some language in the fine print allowing them to post our photos. Is this not the case?
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 12-18-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    I know I have things out there on facebook that I wouldn't want them to use as marketing, but I have my watermark on anything I think might be used for something.

Something I have been wondering...what about when they sell something to advertise and there is a person in that photo without a model release or property without a property release? What are the legal ramifications of that?
    Yeah, me too. I stopped posting any decent photos on facebook a year ago at least (arguable, depending on if anything I'd ever posted before counted as 'decent'). But now I don't at all. I went on a Buck's trip a few weeks ago, I took all the photos I'd scanned and processed, I uploaded them to my smugmug, and sent the link to everybody. And on the rare occasion I do post straight to FB, I put a nice fat watermark on it, I don't care if my friends think i'm a wanker for it.

And that second question really depends on your local laws, and by local that could be where you live, where the model lives, where the photo was taken, where the photo is hosted, the location of whoever steals it. In short it just gets messy.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos