Thread: The Canon 1D C What does it mean?

The Canon 1D C What does it mean?

Just been looking at the ID C, What does it mean for photography... does it turn me into a really good photographer?

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/12/w...n-image-shoot/
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

It is the way photography is moving. Frame grabs will be the way in the future. This camera appears to be marketed as one of the first DSLR's to be marketed for that purpose.
    Even though it has limitations when it comes to what you can do, shutter speed and RAW abilities being a few, I think you will see those issues addressed in the future.

The DSLR as we know it will be obsolete eventually.

Will it make you a really good photographer? Maybe not but you would look good carrying around a camera that cost $12,000.

The Canon 1D C What does it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    ... you would look good carrying around a camera that cost $12,000.
    I wonder if Canon will sell the little red "C" badge as a replacement part?

It's a bit strange that he talks about (because it only shoots jpg) "getting it right in camera", which is kind of the antithesis of pulling stills from video (shooting 'real' stills is also a lot more about 'getting it right in camera').
    But really, this kind of thing is just a natural progression of High Speed Continuous Spray'n'Pray. My 7D does 8fps at 18MP, this thing does 24fps at 8mp or whatever it is. There's always going to be those who argue about getting the one good shot vs shooting a hundred and picking the best, whether HSC or grabbing stills. As for the extra time in PP, I find it hard enough culling a 3-second burst of 20 frames, I wouldn't want to go through hours of footage to find a good shot.

And it's more up to the individual involved and the situation to choose what way they want to go.
    The article has probably chosen the best situation possible for this style, being a wedding, where a) they don't need all the 18MP of a still (not sure how much i believe that 55" print size until i see one in person), b) where they absolutely must get as many frames as possible to pick the best one, there's no chance of a second shooting session, c) where facial expressions are everything and even 14fps can miss the right shot, and d) where 'silent shutter' is sometimes not silent enough.
    There will always be situations where it's better to spend 3 days setting up lighting and framing and whatever to take 1 shot on an IQ180 then pack everything up and go home.
    But there's a lot more weddings around.
    The 5Dmk2 and then the 5Dmk3 were/are *the* wedding cameras, especially for the low-mid and even the bottom of the high end. Somehow I see this 1DC coming in from the top end of the wedding market as well, pairing one of these with two 5D3s would make a good wedding kit methinks.
    Canon have (once again) picked their market, picked it well, given it exactly what it needed. Even if the market didn't know it wanted it until now, within a few years you won't be a decent wedding photog until you've got one of these.
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 12-25-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Will it make you a really good photographer? Maybe not but you would look good carrying around a camera that cost $12,000.
    We call this Mutton Dressed as Lamb or you may know it as Putting Lipstick on a Pig.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I wonder if Canon will sell the little red "C" badge as a replacement part?
    Neuro why don't you admit it, you are thinking of buying one aren't you.

While 24FPS is a great advantage, it is also a very good day for SanDisk, you only get 128 15 second shots from a 128GB UDMA 7 card. At $650US a pop this will be very expensive to stock up on media.

I agree that this is the future.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    Videos ability to move through time and space differentiates it so much from the frozen moment of stills that it requires a very different way of visualizing scenes and interactions.
    Interesting thought. I can see this as one reason why the entire market may not move this direction. Two others, already mentioned (also in the video), time and memory. I can't even imagine how long it would take to pull 200-300 shots for a wedding album out of a video, process them, and how much memory that 4K (or greater) video would take. Also, in the video, much of the lighting was very consistent for the shots (or so it seemed) and the video didn't move around very much. I can see the future being one photographer videoing the event and the second taking stills. Myself, I always enjoy shots of little moments and details from weddings (for example). If you tried to capture too many of those in a video, the end result would make any viewer feel nauseous moving from the bride and groom, to the bridesmades, to a bouquet of flowers, to someone playing the piano, to Aunt Mertle in the back crying, to the minister and finally back to the bride and groom? No, I don't see it. Perhaps shots of models might go to video, but that will be a much larger shot than 4K and will likely require RAW.

I guess all I am saying is I see this as a new(ish) tool that will become useful in some circumstances.

I seen something different - on the HDR & Exposure Bracketing. One pull of the shutter and 18 pics at 1/3 exposure increments i.e. 6 fstops in roughly 1 second. The computer makes the noise go away, and now it becomes a framing effort 1st (which I am admittedly really bad at - that and grammer). Or perhaps a 5 degree pan stops w/ the same blast of pics - 60 degree pan = 12 stops x 18 pics = 196 individual exposures. An HDR stitched panoramic? I think my CPU hurts.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    Neuro why don't you admit it, you are thinking of buying one aren't you.

While 24FPS is a great advantage, it is also a very good day for SanDisk, you only get 128 15 second shots from a 128GB UDMA 7 card. At $650US a pop this will be very expensive to stock up on media.
    Beats the heck out of my old F-1/ w/ a 250 film back, and even w/ the limited release of the Sapporo motor drive - the film & processing of 250 frames of Ecktachrome 400 was $200 in 1972 dollars - which is 7x in today's dollars - and I couldn't reuse it. Just for grins I did a search on F-1 motor drives, below is a link that shows several of the F-1 motor drive units and a time lapse rig. FYI, I did a longer time lapse the other day on my T3i w/ Magic Lantern firmware add on. As ML actually runs on the T2i, all of the functionality of the hardware that is shown on the web page below is only a small subset of the capabilities of the T2i.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...rive/index.htm

I am really pleased w/ how technology has put so much within the reach of the enthusiast that even the pro didn't have a few years ago. I enjoy taking pics, and looking at the pics others have taken. Though this is much like my golf game - I am standing too close to the ball after I hit it - I often find I can't get the settings right after I take the pic.
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 12-26-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Why would you even have to shoot a video of the wedding? If this technology is good enough, which some day it will be, you would just shoot short two or three second bursts of recording.

Why would the video that is taken even need to be a decent video, if you were shooting at higher shutter speeds? You are just trying to capture as many frames as possible.

There are far more uses once the technology improves. Wildlife and Sports for instance. Try taking a picture of a woodpecker leaving its perch. Even at 10fps you only get a few frames. Even with the 1D IV I find myself wishing I had caught a frame in between on a burst. More frames will mean the better chance that you have of catching the bird at the exact moment you want.

How about sunsets, more than once I have set up and the instant between the light being right or wrong is only a handful of seconds.

Someday we will see the end of shutters and mirrors. This technology isn't there yet. With the 1D C they give you both instruction manuals, the 1D X's and the 1D C's. It appears that Canon is giving you a 1D X that can do just a bit more.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 12-26-2012 at 01:00 PM.