Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight/Traveling Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Brant;
    The feet of a Gitzo are screwed in. If you are not careful and pay attention, they work themselves loose.
    Rick
    It´s true that the legs are screwed in, but on the two I have, you need tools to get them off. A very solid spike tip, which is nice to have available on ice and rocks, is tightly screwed in. For normal use, a high quality rubber cap is fitted over it, with a snap-in-to-place design. That rubber cap can be turned, but with limited friction on the spike. I saw the same comment you make Rick, in an earlier review I read, but I will be very surprised if anyone get this problem with the current design.

Ok, I am convinced, there are a lot of good options out there.

In case anyone is interested, a few articles/semi-endorsements I found:
    http://darwinwiggett.files.wordpress...ingtripods.pdf
    https://www.thecamerastore.com/how-c...perfect-tripod
    http://jefflynchdev.wordpress.com/20...ation-tripods/
    http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Thanks again for your comments, they are very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by eldarhau View Post
    It´s true that the legs are screwed in, but on the two I have, you need tools to get them off. A very solid spike tip, which is nice to have available on ice and rocks, is tightly screwed in. For normal use, a high quality rubber cap is fitted over it, with a snap-in-to-place design. That rubber cap can be turned, but with limited friction on the spike. I saw the same comment you make Rick, in an earlier review I read, but I will be very surprised if anyone get this problem with the current design.
    Perhaps the newer versions fixed it. For me it is just something to watch. It wouldn't deter me from buying a fine Gitzo tripod.

The reason I thought I should point this out to Brant, is the lowest review on B&H for the 1542T is a complaint about loosing a foot. Especially with this tripod, the idea of owning this tripod is that it is so light you would carry it several miles in to the mountains to a remote area. Check your gear and be prepared, I am meticulous that way as anyone doing a long hike in to the wilderness should be. I would rather Brant know the possibility exists that it could happen, rather than recommend the Gitzo then he loose the foot on a 20 mile hike in to the wilderness.

I will eventually buy a backpack tripod, the 1542T is what I would buy if I ordered today. The foot thing is a non for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Perhaps the newer versions fixed it.
    Well, I should be able to answer the question by the weekend. The GT1542T is ordered.

So, now onto the ball head. In reading through things, it appears that the RRS BH-30 and Markins Q3T were specifically designed for the GT1541T (predecessor to what I just bought) so that the legs can fold around the ball head. The Kirk BH-3 may have been as it seems to fit the general criteria. It doesn't appear Arca-Swiss makes a lighter ballhead and that RRS, Kirk, and Markins are all very good. Anyone familiar with Markins or Kirk?

In the end, I hope to have a very lightweight and portable set up. Eventually, I'll add a more typical/slightly bigger set as well. BTW, while I love taking photos, another great thing about photography is all this really cool gear.

I looked up the Markins, and lost interest when I saw the Phillips head screw used to stop the plate from sliding. Maybe I am wrong but my first thought was "cheap".

Are you going to try and do Pano with this setup?

You could do Pano's with the a single ball like the RRS BH-30 if you are careful in the setup.

If so I would look at the weight of the combinations I would be using;

If you stacked a RRS PCL-1 Panning Clamp on top of the RRS BH-30 it would add 10.2 ounces. Total weight of 21.6 ounces.
    I own a version of this Arca-Swiss which would give you the same function and the weight would difference would be less than an ounce if you were stacking the two RRS components,
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/469926-REG/Arca_Swiss_801113_Monoball_Z1_dp_with.html
    Of course with the Arca-Swiss you have the heavy duty ball head for later. This head is like a little chunk of metal though, and ultra-light really can't be used to describe it.

I think for a light setup, the RRS BH-30 is the one I would vote for.
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 12-31-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Hi Rick,

Very cool Arca-Swiss ball head. Currently, I don't take panning shots. Maybe I should. Actually, maybe I will now with a better tripod. But I am wondering, what would the double pan action gain you?

Regard the Markins, I am not seeing a screw....maybe I am missing something, but I am looking here:
    http://markinsamerica.com/MA5/Q3T.php?req=Q3TSK

It was mentioned several times in the user reviews (3 on the first page) for the GT1542T on BH and I've found a couple of other references to Markins being one of the top brands (http://www.bythom.com/support.htm).

That said, I am pretty sure I'll end up with the RRS BH-30. I just haven't looked at all the ball heads enough to satisfy my various disorders ( ) and am busy getting ready for tonight. I think much of my debate will be between weight/performance and a little on cost. For example, RRS BH30 LR is 0.71 lbs at $275 and the RRS BH40 is 1.05 lbs at $375 and the Arca-Swiss Z1-sp is 1.3 lbs at $410. Giving 0.1 lb for the plate, the difference in the set up weight would be 3 lbs with the BH30 up to 3.6 lbs with the Arca-Swiss. But I like how the BH-30 is designed to fit within the Gitzo traveller legs and, ultimately, the BH-30 is rated for about the same weight as the GT1542T. All these trade offs....
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 12-31-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    ...But I am wondering, what would the double pan action gain you?
    Your tripod is rarely level... so you set your camera relitive to the horizon with the ball. Now the camera is at a different angle from the base of your ball head. Therefore, if you rotate the camera under the ball, then the camera changes angles relitive the the horizon constantly as you rotate. However, if you rotate above the ball, then the camera retains its orientation relitive to the horizon as you rotate 360 degrees.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Actually, maybe I will now with a better tripod. But I am wondering, what would the double pan action gain you?
    These legs are lightest of the light. Pano's might be a bit more difficult using them. But maybe not.

The double action pano, the second pano has a level in it as well. Your ball can be slightly off, you can make all of your adjustment pivoting the ball head and get the top pano perfectly level. You can then have a nice level pano action from side to side that is level. Where if you are just turning the ball head from its lower pano, if the ball isn't perfetly level it will tilt your camera as you swing. All you would need with the double pano head for a single row pano is a nodal slide to move your camera foward and back.

Thanks Pat and Rick....That makes complete sense and is a great feature.

Thanks Pat and Rick....That makes complete sense and is a great feature.
    I have a pano plate on my ball head - works really well. I use the electronic level in the camera vs. the bubble to set level. Takes a moment but it works for my foggy eyes (have to set level then rotate 90 degrees and set again, and then return to double check but it is usally spot on)
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911