Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightweight/Traveling Tripod

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. You've given me a lot to research over the weekend.

@Eldarhua I'll check on Benro's equipment as I expect the vast majority of my use to be <100 mm. I had missed Gitzo's "safari" line of tripods as they were under the "bird watching" category. But, while they look similar to some of the others, they are interesting. It is also good to hear that you liked the GH1780QR ball head.

@Poik/Eric I've wondered if I'll end up as you did...starting off thinking small and light but finally getting a very solid, and a little heavier, set. For now, I am still planning on eventually having two set ups and want to definitely distinguish between the two. So, at this time, I am still thinking small and light.

@Conropl/Pat: I hadn't heard the "bad reports" on Gitzo heads. I guess this is why it pays to ask. I had looked at the Arca Swiss ball heads and was concerned about their weight. When I build the bigger system, I bet I use the Arca Swiss or RRS ball heads. How do you like the Induro tripod?

@Neuro/John: Thanks for the feedback. I worry about things like load ratings, which is why I've tried to stay with what I consider known brands. But the RRS video on the TQC-14, rated at ~25 lbs, did crack me up when the presentor suspended his entire body weight with the tripod. Both you and Pat have me rethinking the Gitzo ball heads. Actually, right now I am thinking the RRS BH30 is a better way to go. Granted, almost double the price.

@Eric: I appreciate the real world experience and this is one of the brands that I hadn't heard about and will look into....

@Rick/HDNitehawk: Well, this may seal the Gitzo head's fate. Noticable creep is something I want to avoid with the new system. I'll definitely let you know what I think of the GT1542 if I end up getting it. It is good to hear the GT2541 is solid. I had been considering that, but it is a bit heavier.

@Arnt: Let me know what you think of Sirui....I first heard about them in your thread. They actually have a tripod lighter than the GT1542.

Again, thanks for the feedback. It sounds like a number of us have been trying to wade through all the options recently. I appreciate all your help.

Happy New Year!
    Brant

Lightweight/Traveling Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    The ball was also frustrating... I would pain stakingly line something up and then when I would tighten up the ball it would move it.
    The Manfrotto 488RC2 ballhead has a similar issue. After locking the ball, it 'settles' a bit, varying with the load. The Manfrotto 468MG doesn't move, which was one reason I upgraded (the other was that the 488RC2 cannot be converted with an AS-type clamp, whereas the 468MG can).

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    I should have known better to. I am always telling design engineers that work for me not to believe all the spec's in catalogs or what sales people tell you.
    This sounds like my job, except I am always explaining to clients that the design engineer bought in to a salesman's bill of goods or believed spec's that weren't realistic. Usually most engineer's will see through the spec bs, and then some are sold on the "I can deliver in 6 weeks" promise. The delivery time is almost never met.

I to bought a Vangard tripod a few years ago. For the money it performed well. It had the quick lock type leg locks, similar to Gitzo's. They performed well but took several turns to tighten. What failed on mine was the lock that holds the tripod legs at the right angles. It lasted as a tripod for just short of two years. It is a great light stand now. It was a bit over $200, you really get what you pay for.

Brant;

There is one complaint that you see occasionally on the Gitzo legs, and it is true so I will throw it out so you are not disappointed if you go that way and it happens to you. The feet of a Gitzo are screwed in. If you are not careful and pay attention, they work themselves loose. Probably by brushing against something. I have lost one before and it would have been frustrating if not for the fact I have a Gitzo monopod and just pulled the foot off of it. I have heard some people say they use locktite to hold theirs on. I just ordered a three pack of replacements and through them in my pack.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    @Conropl/Pat: I hadn't heard the "bad reports" on Gitzo heads. I guess this is why it pays to ask. I had looked at the Arca Swiss ball heads and was concerned about their weight. When I build the bigger system, I bet I use the Arca Swiss or RRS ball heads. How do you like the Induro tripod?
    I have never regretted getting the Induro. It is a well built tripod, and I bought one big enough that I can still use it for a 500mm someday if I get the opportunity (I went a bit overboard with the CT414). Also, the legs are stiff enough to hold well on ice (they do not splay out especially with the spike feet installed), and it holds up well to wind (it also has a weight hook if you need more weight to hold up to the wind). Mine is a bit heavy for what you are looking at. However, they have smaller ones; but compared to what you are looking at, it might be a little heavier at 2.8 lbs, and the small ones only fold up to just under 20". However, I have not tried a small ones.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Lightweight/Traveling Tripod

Another consideration is maintenance. RRS (and maybe Gitzo - Rick?) legs can be easily disassembled for cleaning/drying - very useful after shooting at the beach, in the rain, etc.

Just to throw another option out there for ballheads since I haven't seen it mentioned, I've been looking at the Acratech GP. There is a review of the GV2 below, but the GP is basically the same but gives you the option to flip the head to use as a leveling base for panoramas. Seems like Arca Swiss, RRS, and Acratech are three of the best brands you can get.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ad-Review.aspx

They have a bunch of videos on their website demonstrating the use and durability of their ballheads:
    http://acratech.net/pages.php?pageid=7
    http://acratech.net/home.php?cat=1
    - Eric
    Canon 7D, 70-200 f/2.8 II, 17-55 f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.8 II, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 2x III, 430EX II
    flickr.com/ericolsson

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Another consideration is maintenance. RRS (and maybe Gitzo - Rick?) legs can be easily disassembled for cleaning/drying - very useful after shooting at the beach, in the rain, etc.
    I have never had to break it completely down. But the legs can be separated easily. It would be a simple process if you wanted to do a thorough cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    The other issue with both Gitzo and Manfrotto heads is they come with clamps that use their own, proprietary plate systems. .
    This is a good point. Unless you only use one tripod, preferably also one body directly mounted, this will cause some irritation. Fixing the clamp to the Gitzo head is also somewhat cumbersome, with a flip lock, with a lock adjustment and a well hidden button underneath. The clamp can only be slided in from one side also. But when that is done, the head operates very well and it holds on to whatever I have loaded it with. I can carry it over my shoulder in rough terrain, with a Canon 1DX and 70-200mm f2.8 and 2x extender, without any slippage. The sales person convinced me, but if I were to buy a new head, I would go for one with a standard clamp/plate solution.

Eldar

The Manfrotto 190CXPro4 with the Manfrotto 496RC2 make up my travel tripod kit. It nicely fits in the suitcase we usually check when we travel, and it fits in a backpack. It does very well with the size of lens you said you mostly use. However, I have found the head slips a bit when I mount my 100-400. All in all, I am very pleased with it.

Larry