Thread: RAW or RAW + L

RAW or RAW + L

Hi All,

Really quick one: should you shoot in RAW only or RAW + L? Just wondered why you need the L?

Thanks

Edd

The L refer to jpeg(i think), i would just shhot raw, no need for the jpeg imo
    I aint a pro

Quote Originally Posted by kingscurate View Post
    The L refer to jpeg(i think), i would just shhot raw, no need for the jpeg imo
    That's it. With RAW+L you record two different file-types. 1 RAW file and 1 Large JPEG file.

There are some things where this can come in handy like when you need to deliver photos rightaway and you also want an original file for yourself in the best quality.

For personal use this consumes too much space in my opinion.

RAW or RAW + L

Just shoot RAW. Many people start shooting JPG, then switch to RAW+JPG, discover the benefits of RAW, then switch to RAW entirely. I'd say just go straight there...

Cheers guys, RAW it is then!

Re: RAW or RAW + L

If you use Windows, I would download the codec that enables it to preview a CR2 file in case you're like me and have random folders of CR2 files from old trip that I never got around to processing. That way, you don't have to open up some Adobe product to see what you have.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I think you have the right answer, if you put everyone's answer together so far. Most people start out shooting JPEG, then when they switch to RAW they shoot RAW and JPEG for a while, the space requirement on the computer is large for RAW and even more for both files. They then end up at just RAW, where many seem to stay.

Sheiky is correct in that there are times to do both. There are times now that I shoot in RAW +JPEG so I have the RAW file incase the JPEG doesn't turn out. Processing takes time and if your subject is for documentation, or IQ isn't your number one goal JPEG might be just fine. For instance pictures I usually take for work I do both, usually the pictures are for documentation but occasionally I find one to use for advertising and I want the RAW file to tweak. Time is money and I can be more productive at the company if I am not processing pictures for hours on end.