Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting Up and using FoCal (beta) for mac

Setting Up and using FoCal (beta) for mac

I have just installed the FoCal Pro software, and it does launch. I get an error message telling me that it may not work properly with the MONO software I've downloaded, but I've downloaded all of the versions and I get the same message, so I am using the most current.
    I launch the software and I get the screen that wants me to install my Camera (a Canon 7D), but how do I hook up the camera to my Mac Pro Tower so it is sensed by this program? Where can I locate the manual for the FoCal Pro program?
    Needless to say, any help and/or direction is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

Connect it with a USB-to-miniUSB cable.

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/ind...s-to-download/

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Connect it with a USB-to-miniUSB cable.

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focalweb/ind...s-to-download/
    Thank you. Where can I find the mini USB port on the 7D?

on the left:http://content.reviewed.com/products...ports-open.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CANON-7D-ports-open.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	1636  
    Arnt

Maybe it is an obvious thing to say, but it is the cable that came with your 7D to download pictures to your computer. Perhaps you always taken out the card to download pictures?
    If you have never used your EOS Utility I would suggest updating your firmware if you have an older 7D.

Also, when I downloaded FoCal a few months back I entered the three serial numbers of my cameras on the site. I had one serial number wrong FoCal would not read that camera. If you have plugged it in and there are no cameras recognized check your account at Reikan and make sure you have the right serial number entered.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Perhaps you always taken out the card to download pictures?
    I tried FoCal for the first time yesterday and I had to go find one of my DSLR boxes to find the cable. I've been shooting for [several] years and had never shot tethered before. I always take out the card when transferring images to the computer. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I tried FoCal for the first time yesterday and I had to go find one of my DSLR boxes to find the cable. I've been shooting for [several] years and had never shot tethered before. I always take out the card when transferring images to the computer.
    So do I. I also do all my camera firmware updates using a CF card, and since I shoot RAW, I have no need to connect to load lens profiles, etc.

But...I have something like 20-30 of those USB-to-miniUSB cables, ranging from 4" long to 6' long, and a USB extension cable, too - the longer connection makes it easier to set up for FoCal.

Setting Up and using FoCal (beta) for mac

If you don't have the original cable, any USB to micro-USB will do. I have accumulated several from different devices over the years and they usually work across devices
    Arnt

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    I tried FoCal for the first time yesterday and I had to go find one of my DSLR boxes to find the cable. I've been shooting for [several] years and had never shot tethered before. I always take out the card when transferring images to the computer. :-)
    How did you find FoCal? I gave it a try ~1year ago when I first got my 7d and found it much simpler than trying to afma the old fashioned way...

I'm actually going to set up again and redo the calibration on my lenses. I'm wondering if the microadjustment could have changed (maybe bumping the camera/lens around could change it a bit?). Does anyone regularly re-check afma or is it just not necessary (unless obvious problems are noted)?

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by NFLD Stephen View Post
    How did you find FoCal? I gave it a try ~1year ago when I first got my 7d and found it much simpler than trying to afma the old fashioned way...

I'm actually going to set up again and redo the calibration on my lenses. I'm wondering if the microadjustment could have changed (maybe bumping the camera/lens around could change it a bit?). Does anyone regularly re-check afma or is it just not necessary (unless obvious problems are noted)?
    I do re-test periodically. I dropped my 5DII one day - camera worked fine afterward, but all my AFMA values shifted 8-10 units in the same direction, so I infer that the drop altered the relative positioning of the image and AF sensors.