Thread: Thinking of pulling the trigger and buying a Tokina 11-16. Your thoughts on the lens?

Question Thinking of pulling the trigger and buying a Tokina 11-16. Your thoughts on the lens?

I've wanted this lens for a while now, and yesterday, after shooting a bit at 18mm, I realized I almost NEED it. I do a lot of nature and the occasional landscape shots as well, but what I really want it for is concert shots, I go to a ton of local shows to shoot for friend's bands and the like.

I use a T3i currently but will be upgrading to a 7D (or hopefully a 7DMkII if it comes to reality) by summertime. Does anyone else use this combo? Thoughts? Pros? Cons?

Thank you in advance.

Also, as a bonus, here is what I think is my best shot of the day yesterday. Wish I had an ND filter to make this a better shot though, 1/3 a second isnt quite long enough...

Here's a link to full resolution if you want to take a real close look.
    http://i.minus.com/ixd5aq5CAqPik.jpg

Well, I ordered it. It came in today and the focusing ring to switch between auto and manual focus does not work at all. Gonna try out some manual shots before sending it back for a refund. Replacements are not available apparently unless the lens was destroyed upon arrival. Still looking for any input from you guys though.

Re: Thinking of pulling the trigger and buying a Tokina 11-16.

I was considering the lens once, but backed off when they talked about all the aberrations it had. Where I needed it, there was always gonna be a Window with a ton of light coming through. I've been making due with the tamron 17-50 and stitching shots together in post. As for upgrading to the 7d, I'd love to sell you mine, but I don't think you'll see enough of a difference in the camera you have for what you're doing. Granted you can't take the T3i, throw it in a tub of water, freeze it, use an gun to blow the chunks of ice off, set it on fire, and still be able to take pics with it.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I have no experience with this lens, but do you need the f/2.8 from it? Have you looked into the Canon 10-22 as well?

Reading a review of the Tokina I read "On most lenses you have a switch but here you have to push-pull the focus ring in order to change from AF to MF. This is something that we find not so practical at first and it takes time to get used to." You sure it's broken, or is it just weird?
    - Eric
    Canon 7D, 70-200 f/2.8 II, 17-55 f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.8 II, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 2x III, 430EX II
    flickr.com/ericolsson

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke View Post
    I was considering the lens once, but backed off when they talked about all the aberrations it had. Where I needed it, there was always gonna be a Window with a ton of light coming through. I've been making due with the tamron 17-50 and stitching shots together in post. As for upgrading to the 7d, I'd love to sell you mine, but I don't think you'll see enough of a difference in the camera you have for what you're doing. Granted you can't take the T3i, throw it in a tub of water, freeze it, use an gun to blow the chunks of ice off, set it on fire, and still be able to take pics with it.
    As far as CA goes, I've heard that the effects from this lens are easily corrected in photoshop, so it wouldn't be much of a deal to me. I would typically not be shooting things where it would be that evident anyways. As for the 7D, I know I am not getting an improvement in image quality, but I want it more so for the superior focusing, faster FPS, and the weather sealing, and seeing as how the rumored 7DMkII is going to apparently improve upon all of that, I am willing to wait a bit and see if it actually comes to be. Until then, I will make due with the T3i.

Quote Originally Posted by Poik View Post
    I have no experience with this lens, but do you need the f/2.8 from it? Have you looked into the Canon 10-22 as well?

Reading a review of the Tokina I read "On most lenses you have a switch but here you have to push-pull the focus ring in order to change from AF to MF. This is something that we find not so practical at first and it takes time to get used to." You sure it's broken, or is it just weird?
    I wouldn't say I actually NEED the f/2.8, but I definitely would prefer it. Most of what this lens will be used for will be indoor concerts. I go to a lot of local shows in the area and take pictures for my friends bands and any other bands who are interested. Also, I also prefer saving the $200 or so by going with the Tokina, and that extra 1mm on the wide end (not worried about the long end too much, I have other lenses for that) doesnt really sell it for me.

As far as it just being weird, that is definitely not the case. I read the manual, multiple reviews, and watched multiple YouTube videos as well to make sure I wasnt overlooking something in anyway. If you take a look at this video HERE and look to about the 21 second mark, you'll see the user move the focusing ring from auto, to manual, and it takes two movements at first. When I got my lens, it was in the manual position and it only lets me move it up halfway, and if I try going further, onto autofocus, the ring cants, as if something on the left side is blocking it internally. It's rather upsetting, I was looking forward to using this lens a lot this weekend it now I can't.

I had one and I loved it, worked very well on the 7D. The 2.8 came in very handy at parties and is a fantastic indoor portrait style lens, as well as being a great landscape lens. For even t photography, car shows it is perfect as long as you have something for the 16mm+.

I moved to full frame and no longer needed it.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Good to hear. Shipping it out tomorrow to get my refund and I'm hoping it processes fast because I have a show I am going to in 2 weeks and having a replacement by then would be golden.

Lens arrived at it's destination today, now its a waiting game.