Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TrekPak

TrekPak

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has purchased and used the camera bag inserts from TrekPak? http://trekpak.com/ I'm looking to put together my own backpack and was looking for real world feedback. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Trent
    EOS R5 and EOS R with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Extender EF 2x III, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 35mm f/1.2 IS USM, RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM, GORUCK GR-1 with TrekPak insert

Backpacks for longer trips is a difficult subject. I have had a number of different kinds over the years, but never found something I have been really happy with.

Currently I have a Lowepro protrekker 400 AW for the more serious trips, which includes my 400mm f2.8L II, tripod etc. But when I go on a multi day trip in the mountains, I need a tent, sleeping bag, food, clothing etc. Then the protrekker is insufficient and the solution has been a more regular large pack, like a Bergans Alpinist (130 liters), with a fairly unsatisfactory packing of the photo gear in between all the rest. I once tried to make a padded photo section in the bottom part of the pack, but it didnīt really work. I have not tried the TrekPak inserts. If you get it and try, Iīd be interested in learning about your experiences.

For holiday trips etc. I use a Tamrac 5549 Adventure 9. That is a much smaller, but quite a convenient pack for a (up to 1DX) body, a selection of lenses (I normally carry a 16-35mm f2.8L II, a 24-70mm f2.8L II and the 70-200 f2.8L II. I sometimes also squeeze in a fast prime, 50mm 1.2L or 85mm 1.2L, or the 100mm f2.8L Macro IS. There is an extra room for items like a flash, an extender, a sweater or a book, a good room for a laptop and a place for a bottle. Itīs also easy to carry on any plane or where ever you go on a regular vacation. I have actually had that pack longer than any of the others.

How did you plan to use the insert (to fill a bag or to use it as a part of the total package)?

Quote Originally Posted by eldarhau View Post
    Backpacks for longer trips is a difficult subject. I have had a number of different kinds over the years, but never found something I have been really happy with.

Currently I have a Lowepro protrekker 400 AW for the more serious trips, which includes my 400mm f2.8L II, tripod etc. But when I go on a multi day trip in the mountains, I need a tent, sleeping bag, food, clothing etc. Then the protrekker is insufficient and the solution has been a more regular large pack, like a Bergans Alpinist (130 liters), with a fairly unsatisfactory packing of the photo gear in between all the rest. I once tried to make a padded photo section in the bottom part of the pack, but it didnīt really work. I have not tried the TrekPak inserts. If you get it and try, Iīd be interested in learning about your experiences.

For holiday trips etc. I use a Tamrac 5549 Adventure 9. That is a much smaller, but quite a convenient pack for a (up to 1DX) body, a selection of lenses (I normally carry a 16-35mm f2.8L II, a 24-70mm f2.8L II and the 70-200 f2.8L II. I sometimes also squeeze in a fast prime, 50mm 1.2L or 85mm 1.2L, or the 100mm f2.8L Macro IS. There is an extra room for items like a flash, an extender, a sweater or a book, a good room for a laptop and a place for a bottle. Itīs also easy to carry on any plane or where ever you go on a regular vacation. I have actually had that pack longer than any of the others.

How did you plan to use the insert (to fill a bag or to use it as a part of the total package)?
    Thank you for the reply eldarhau. Sorry for the delay in replying, just got home from work. Like you, I could never find something that I would be happy with. You do have some nice packs. One day I was searching for a pack to replace a duffle bag and I came across the GORUCK site (https://www.goruck.com/). One of the rucks I like is the GR1. Have not purchased it yet. Looking at the pictures of the GR1 it hit me that this might make a good camera pack. A Google search later, I came across the TrekPak site. I am going to purchase the inserts in the near future, I always like to research and get feedback before I make a purchase. I will let you know how it goes when I get it together.

Trent
    EOS R5 and EOS R with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Extender EF 2x III, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 35mm f/1.2 IS USM, RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM, GORUCK GR-1 with TrekPak insert

Hi,

I purchased the insert for my Burton Zoom Pack 26L in December. It is extremely nice to use and re-organize after the Velcro pads. Now that I've seen it I'm actually really surprised that no one has thought something similar before There is a lot of different sized dividers included and you can also cut them to custom sizes and use the leftover from your insert as even more dividers. I made a little hole to the top of one to fit my battery grip very snugly in it so that the part that goes to the battery compartment of the camera goes "through" the divider and over the lens or other stuff that sits on the next space. The pins work great with the pull tabs and there is sufficient amount of them included for even very compartmentalized storage.

Unfortunately in my haste and excitement I made a little error when sizing the mat to the inside of my backpack and after fitting all my gear in at the fullest configuration there was a little gap in the RolliPak padding that goes around the inside of my pack. So as a result if I attach dividers near that gap part they are not as solid as in the middle of the RolliPak. Fortunately I was able to cut a little piece more of the mat and extend it to join the inside part and put the weak spot in a corner. So be sure to cut the mat to a right size or even a little too long as you can always shorten it easily!

Hope this helps and I might be able to post some photos of the setup too after next week if you are (or anyone else is) interested.

EDIT: As a standalone insert it is a little bit pricey in my opinion and I wish they offered customized "factory quality" inserts to more bags than the one on their site. But that might also be because of the little user error while installing and overall the product is great even if maybe not the best value.
    Last edited by qwRad; 01-19-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Yes, I would be interested in some photos when you have the time. Thank you for the information and insights.

Trent

Hey Trent,

I personally like f-stop bags. I'm using the guru with a medium ICU. I did a review of it some time ago however the thread's a little messed up from when we did a software change or something a while back. Here's the link: http://community.the-digital-picture...ead.php?t=5174

Anyway, I like the ICU system, it offers good protection and is convenient when you want to just pull it out and use the pack as a normal pack. I can vouch for the quality of the pack itself too, mine's been all over the world with me. The trekpak system also looks really good, I haven't seen them before but I like the look of them.

Happy hunting. Ben.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor View Post
    Hey Trent,

I personally like f-stop bags. I'm using the guru with a medium ICU. I did a review of it some time ago however the thread's a little messed up from when we did a software change or something a while back. Here's the link: http://community.the-digital-picture...ead.php?t=5174

Anyway, I like the ICU system, it offers good protection and is convenient when you want to just pull it out and use the pack as a normal pack. I can vouch for the quality of the pack itself too, mine's been all over the world with me. The trekpak system also looks really good, I haven't seen them before but I like the look of them.

Happy hunting. Ben.
    Hi Ben,

Looked through your review, good job. I looked at the f-stop bags, liked them, but I was looking for something different. In one of my earlier posts I said I found a ruck from GORUCK, well I purchased one and it arrived today. I also purchased the TrekPak system and it should be here later today. I'll post some pictures later on after I get it together and try it out. Thanks for the reply.

Trent

I'm sorry I totally forgot to add the photos of my setup here. Here are some quick shots of the TrekPad system in my Burton Zoom 26L backpack. At the moment it is configured for a quick backpack ski trip with the 5D3 + 24-105L (that was used to take the photo) + 70-300L and one extra slot that will fit another lens or battery grip or something else. In the extra pile I have dividers cut to fit another configurations and on the photos you can also see the divider I cut to use with the battery grip stored in the upright position (not secured properly in the photo). Hope this is of some interest/use for anyone considering the system. I like it much better than the velcro pads.

Name:  NT1A2550.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  87.5 KB

Name:  NT1A2551.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  109.3 KB

Name:  NT1A2552.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  102.1 KB

Thanks for the pictures qwRad. It is a better solution than Velcro. I got my RolliPack on Monday and got it installed in my new bag. I'll post some pictures in a few days, I don't have access to my computer until Sunday; traveling for work until then. That's a nice little set up you have.

Trent

Here are a few pictures of my new camera ruck with the TrekPak system installed. First one is of the ruck closed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Camera_Ruck_01.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	1691

Second one shows the back. The thing sticking out of the top is my XOOM tablet. There is a 17 inch tall zippered compartment on the back that will hold up to a 15 inch laptop or a 3L hydration bladder.

Name:	Camera_Ruck_02.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	1692

The third one shows the ruck opened. Notice how the TrekPak system fits pretty good. I do not have any Velcro attached to the inside of the ruck because when it is zippered shut, it holds everything in place. It is a little hard to close it, but the ruck is so well made I decided not to put Velcro in to attach the TrekPak to. Over time when the ruck wears in I may need it. The webbing you see is the MOLLE system used by the military. There is also webbing on both sides of the ruck and on the shoulder straps. Attaching things is not going to be a problem. The company I bought the ruck from offers a small "accessory pocket" that attaches to the webbing. I may purchase one for my accessories. Underneath all my gear is a pocket that can be used for papers, magazines, etc... Not very convenient when the gear is in there, but I can pull everything out if I need a day bag.

Name:	Camera_Ruck_03.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	1693

The last one is closer view of the system. The TrekPak system was real easy to piece together and secures everything nicely. Why someone didn't think of this system years ago is beyond me. I still have plenty of pieces left, and may configuration options, if I purchase more gear or only want to take the camera one lens and some clothes.

Name:	Camera_Ruck_04.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	1694

All in all I am very happy with the TrekPak and the ruck. I highly recommend both. I have not had a chance to carry the ruck with all of the gear in it for an extended length of time, but with almost 16 pounds of gear on my back I do not think long hikes are going to be a problem. The ruck sits comfortably on my back.

Thanks for looking.

Trent