Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Product Photos

Quote Originally Posted by qwRad View Post
    Excellent product shots and very nice job getting rid of the table/stuff from beneath the items. The watch would feel right at home as an advertisement image in any magazine! The last shot of the glasses is also very nice. There is something about the middle one with the reflection that doesn't quite get it up to par with the quality of the others. Maybe it is the black glasses on a black background they blend in maybe a tad too much. A little more definition on them by rim-light or something might have helped.
    Hey Sampsa, thank you for your thoughts and the 'tap on the back' on my attempts. I actually had a hard time with the second photo and it took me about a hundred shots before I got a shot that I liked and I think I can keep -- which is the second photo. I didn't notice the need of highlights as I was so focused on getting a good reflection without me being in it.

By the way, I love your star trails. I couldn't imagine myself being out in the cold even for just 15 minutes. Great job on those star trails.
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenBug View Post
    I was so focused on getting a good reflection without me being in it.
    Like most I think, the watch is my favorite. But that might also be just because I love watches so much. As far as your problem with reflection goes.. how are you lighting them? A higher shutter speed(1/250th +) and a narrow aperture should squash any reflections caused by your ambient light.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    Like most I think, the watch is my favorite. But that might also be just because I love watches so much. As far as your problem with reflection goes.. how are you lighting them? A higher shutter speed(1/250th +) and a narrow aperture should squash any reflections caused by your ambient light.
    Hi Rocco! Thank you for your comment. I'm kind of experimenting on what's the best way to light 'em with the limited gear I have. The watch photo was lighted by a single on-cam flash (bounced off from a wall/door -- can't really remember). The second photo was lighted by a single DIY softbox just slightly higher but towards the camera to light the reflectors (white boards) so the lens can get the reflected light. The last photo of the Oakley was shot by light painting -- 1 pop of light on the right side, another pop for top-front, and another for the left-side. The background light was lighted at the same time the first pop of light as it is a separate flash.

I usually work on 1/160 as my max flash sync is 1/200. I get the shutter into the exposure if I shoot at 1/200 or more. Also, I use about f/8 - f/11 for DOF. The last photo was an exception as it took me about 15secs to take the shot. Moreover, I usually work with a standard zoom lens (17-50mm) which isn't really ideal but with the space constraints I currently have I wasn't able to use my 85mm.
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com