Thread: Canon digital photo professional

Canon digital photo professional

Hi All
    Does anyone know if it is possible in canons DPP to separate the image into sections to edit the lighting differently. I guess you can do this in photoshop and more advanced software - just wanted to separate the sky and landscape
    Thanks
    Edd

Canon digital photo professional

AFAIK, not possible with DPP.

No, you can't do that unless you're working with an HDR but I still don't think that's what you're looking for. I use DPP for a lot of my photos, but when I need to extra power I use Lightroom for what you're referring to.
    --

You can adjust the histogram in the RGB tab. It works well. You could tweak the hightlights, export to TIFF and then adjust the shadows in the RGB tab. Or, you can buy a plugin for DPP http://digitol.free.fr/doku.php?id=dpppp:home but I am not sure if it I would do that.

Johnny, I just learned a few things from your post, thanks! I'll have to look into DPP plugins.
    --

Cheers everyone, I have just got myself a set of 3 grad ND cokin filter, just need to learn to use them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    If the sky and the landscape are mostly on different RGB channels, it is possible to go to the RGB tab in DPP to allow tweaking the histogram for the separate colour channels. Will caution that small adjustments are preferred as it is very easy to create a mess this way as most objects do have all three colours in them. If the goal is to darken the sky or brighten the landscape to reduce the brightness contrast I'd strongly recommend picking up some rectangular graduated ND filters to allow capturing the desired image in the camera with a reduced dynamic range and better colour rendition.
    You can adjust luminance values as well as separate RGB values when in the RGB tab. Right click and you get the options. For those who prefer to stick to freeware you can also use ZoomBrowser to adjust JPEG/TIFF images. You can adjust Levels, curves, RGB channels, brightness and unsharp mask, and get the Crop tool, resize tool, e-mail tool, etc. It is ok to use if you do not want to spend any Money on software + you get to keep camera settings and Canon colors. There`s also possible to adjust JPEG/TIFF images using the software that came With Your Canon printer. All in all, you can get far using the provided software only.