Thread: Going Zambia...What to take?

Question Going Zambia...What to take?

Going Zambia over Easter, and been trying to work out what to take.

I don't want to bulk myself up with gear, and don't want to take my primary work lens out with me - 24-105L

I want flexibility but also without carrying to much, I could take my 5D out without the Grip and take my 50mm Prime...but would also need something wide?

I have thought about getting a G15 camera, can get one for £300.

So, thoughts? Opinions? Ideas?

Out of curiosity, why not take the 24-105? Too conspicuous? Heavy? Not fast enough? I feel like if you are trying to do a light weight set-up with out needing a lot of lens changes (secondary to dirt/sand/weather) it may fit the bill.

Otherwise, I like the idea of taking a 50mm prime or even a 35mm prime.

What about the tele end? You going to be shooting any wildlife while there? as without something longer than 50, you may leave yourself wanting.

As far as the G15 goes. I wouldn't take a p&s over a DSLR unless either concerns over weight, theft were too high for comfort. They can take great images, but leave a lot to be desired in the speed department.

At any rate, I hope you enjoy the trip. It sounds adventurous, and I'm excited for you.

Dave.
    Last edited by Dave Johnston; 01-23-2013 at 12:59 PM.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Thanks for the response Dave!

Well, the 24-105 is my main lens for weddings etc, and I think it's just the thought of 'What if' it got damaged, stolen...

What about getting the 40mm pancake lens for general use, and taking my 100mm 2.8 prime for any tele need, as we have been told we are going on safari at some point, so VERY good point about the need for one of them, that unfortuantely is the longest lens I currently have. (minus the extra 5mm on the 24-105!)

Will throw the idea of the G15 out, as what you said were good points.

Why not rent the Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 L IS USM Lens?

It's one of the few lenses that covers a very wide focal range that still manages to maintain decent image quality over the entire range. In my mind, renting makes the most sense when going on a safari.

If I were going that far I would not skimp on equipment. With the 5D I would take the 24-105 and maybe rent a 100-400mm zoom for wildlife. It would be a bit short for birds but really good for large mammals and also some landscape shots. This way, with 2 lenses, you have 24-400mm covered with excellent IQ.

If you want (or need) to shoot wider than 24mm just take multiple images and stitch them together later. To my way of thinking, one body and two lenses is packing very light

I recall one of my 1st posts on TDP was expressing the point that I had under geared on a trip to a place I will never return to and just couldn't get the shot.

I took it anyway and thought I could salvage it in post..... nope.

Those are my two cents
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Going Zambia...What to take?

What was the shot? What did you need??

I would think for the size, weight, aperture, focal length range the 24-105mm is the most ideal lens you can get. Bryan after packing a drool worthy pack constantly went back to the 24-105mm for a light weight do it all lens in his photo/vacation trips.

I would go with Joel's advice for myself aswell if I didn't mind carrying a extra lens.

John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!