Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on buying 'Grey Import' over UK bought I need someone to sway me to a decision

Advice on buying 'Grey Import' over UK bought I need someone to sway me to a decision

Hi guys and girls,

I'm finally about to upgrade to the Mark III after saving for months, however I have a dilema over whether to buy grey import or UK sold (with warrenty). Buying the import will save me £300-£400 easily but it comes without a Canon warrenty.

Has anyone had any experience on this subject as I'm buying this camera to out last me!

Thanks in advance.

Amit

--

Quote Originally Posted by Photog82 View Post
    Brilliant - thanks. I thought as much really but I know the Mark iii and professional cameras of this range do not have any minor or major failures of any kind.

Now for your opinion please, would you buy a mark iii as a grey import?

That's a tough decision, I've gone through this myself with lenses. Normally for lenses, it's about $100 difference depending on the lens. Personally, I would go with the USA or UK if I could afford it. For the Mark III, I'f I'm spending $3,000 on a camera, I'd want to make sure it wasn't grey market. I also don't like buying used cars used equipment, if I'm going to spend my coin I want it the best condition possible. That's just me, some people don't mind used items (and I'm not saying the grey market products are). I have bought one lens used and it saved me a lot of money, so far, so good.

I'm sure that didn't help much but hopefully it'll weigh in some on your decision.
    --

ha ha thanks. Grey imports aren't used pieces of equipment but brand new imported from the country of origin at cheaper price. for example the best price i've found for the M3 UK warrenty is £2335 and the import is £1999.

From what I know and what I read from that link you sent there is no difference in the equipment at all but it's not that the warranty isn't included from Canon.

I live in Norway, where camera equipment traditionally have been very expensive. To get around this I have been buying countless camera bodies and lenses from the US since 1980. A fair estimate would be 20 bodies and 50 lenses. Focus Camera, B&H and 42nd street camera are amongst those I have used the most. I have primarily bought pro grade equipment, but everything has been labeled Imported unless a USA version was the only alternative. But for me there is no difference.

To date I have had (minor) problems with only one body and two lenses. Everything covered through Canon´s international warranty.
    A 5DIII will most likely never cause you any problems, unless you drop it or drown it, which makes a warranty useless anyway. Just make sure you test everything thoroughly when you get it. If there is something wrong, it will most likely be wrong when you get it.

Good luck!
    Eldar

Here's another good read on grey market items:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/USGrey.jsp

B&H lables most of their Canon grey market items as "Imported." While the items are not eligible for Canon's warranty, B&H warranties the items instead.

From B&H:

What kind of warranty is available?
    For IMP items only, B&H provides a warranty identical to the provisions and limitations of the manufacturer's warranty for such items, with the exception of the time period, which is equal to the term of the manufacturer's warranty or one (1) year, whichever is less.* Your dated B&H sales receipt is all you need to obtain warranty coverage from B&H for a "grey market" product purchased from us.

Thanks everyone. I guess the imports that are sold from the UK come from Asia. Should that make any difference as everyone has referenced to buying from USA?

I bought my 5D3 and previously my 5D2 as a grey import from Honk Kong with no issues. The only reason I have done this though is that prices in Australia and horribly high so the saving for me is great.

I had an issue with the 5D2 (burnt out card after I left it in the car by accident in 45 deg C summer heat) and Canon repaired it under warranty.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

I have bought grey imports on several occasions without problems and have registered them successfully with Canon UK. I am not clear whether these are covered by Canon's warranty although I would imagine that in Europe Canon's International warranty would apply. However, the vendor offers their own 12 month warranty. What makes me laugh is that it is frequently cheaper to buy grey imports in the UK than to buy used goods on eBay, which certainly have no come-back! That said I also buy from my local retailer (LCE) despite the higher prices because I want to do my part to support a continuing High Street presence and LCE has knowledgeable and belpful staff. While WEX has a no-quibble returns policy and huge stock I do not really see the point of using them rather than the often considerably cheaper on-line retailers when they are (no longer) no more price competitive than retailers with expensive shop premises and staff to support.
    Last edited by Waterden; 03-13-2013 at 09:38 AM.