Thread: Automated Focus Stacking

Automated Focus Stacking

Just came across this website where someone built a device for automated focus stacking: http://davidhunt.ie/?p=2826
    Maybe not great for out in the field, but useful in the studio?

Enjoy,
    Arnt

Re: Automated Focus Stacking

You could also have someone like the FoCal/Magic Lantern folks use the AFMA for stacking.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    Just came across this website where someone built a device for automated focus stacking: http://davidhunt.ie/?p=2826
    Maybe not great for out in the field, but useful in the studio?

Enjoy,
    I ran across that the other day and almost created a news post on it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke View Post
    You could also have someone like the FoCal/Magic Lantern folks use the AFMA for stacking.
    Yes, I imagine you could. However, I don't think you wouldn't get as much range (DOF) out of that as you would manually moving the camera as David Hunt does in his modified flatbed scanner setup.

Re: Automated Focus Stacking

Agreed.. Until you introduce a micro motor that mounts to a RRS rail. Set speed based on frames per second
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Automated Focus Stacking

There is focus stacking software, such as Helicon Focus and Zerene Stacker. The former (and probably the latter, but I have Helicon) can control the focus of a tethered camera with an AF lens, and create a stack. The problem is focus breathing - changing focus changes magnification and FoV. A shallow stack is ok, deep ones less so.

Moving the camera is the solution. It can be done manually with a macro rail, but accuracy is low.

The homebuilt contraption is nice...but too much work. My intention is to get a Cognysis StackShot.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    There is focus stacking software, such as Helicon Focus and Zerene Stacker...
    I've used the first one - Helicon Focus and as for me it's rather handy and functional enough.
    Last edited by andre_dubu; 10-10-2013 at 11:11 AM.

I use Helicon and the RRS B 150 focusing rail. I also use the Novoflex Balcan-AF below, which has a similar rail function in addition to the below. They are both manual, but for my use I cannot say I have had real accuracy issues. If I increased magnification beyond what I do, I´m sure that would change.

I must admit that I don´t do this very often, but in general I am quite pleased with the results. The only problem is perspective. Moving the camera flattens the perspective, which in some cases ruins the picture. If anyone can provide a way to fix that (my photoshop skills sucks), I would probably do it more often.