Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pelican Case for PCB Einsteins

Question Pelican Case for PCB Einsteins

Hey all. FINALLY getting a pair of PCB Einsteins and vagabond minis.. Curious if any of you have a pelican case for your studio strobes? I'm looking specifically at the 1610 with memory foam, but still not entirely sure if that'll be enough room. I figured an email to PCB customer service, or even their forums might be a good call, but this site is usually my first stop for information.

http://www.pelican-case.com/1610.html

-Rocco
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Pelican Case for PCB Einsteins

Instead of the Peli 1610, I'd recommend the Storm im2720 (Peli actually bought Storm, but they kept the lines separate). Approximately equivalent size, but I find the Storm latches to be easier on the hands than the Peli 'knuckle-busters'.

As for fit, a pair of Einstiens and Vagabond Minis should fit. I know one Einstien fits, although I don't keep it there. Here's what I do keep in my im2720:

Very nice John.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Instead of the Peli 1610, I'd recommend the Storm im2720 (Peli actually bought Storm, but they kept the lines separate). Approximately equivalent size, but I find the Storm latches to be easier on the hands than the Peli 'knuckle-busters'.
    John, thanks! I had actually noticed the Storm on their site after posting the thread.. saw that they were pretty much identical dimensions and price, and was at a loss. heh. Good to know.. appreciate the reply!

-Rocco
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Hey Rocco I can also vouch for Pelican Storm cases. I used to use the im2450 for my gear when going camping and they're a very nice case. The latches rock my world compared to the original pelicans.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Depending on how rough you plan to be with your equipment when traveling, you may not need something as bulletproof (and costly) as a Pelican case.

I modified a regular old American Tourister luggage bag by adding extra padding all around and a reinforcement panel in the bottom. I use some felt between the monolights that would actually be touching to prevent them from scratching each other and another piece of foam (wrapped in duct tape) to take up some space and provide a little more padding. The case holds 4 White Lightning monolights in the main compartment and gaffer's tape, power cords, and a power strip in the outer pocket. I've been carrying it around for about 2 years now:

I also have another monolight packed into a Marine drybox that I use if I'm only going to need one monolight. It has a storage compartment that fits in the top where I keep a power cord and some bungees. I use shop towels folded and wrapped in duct tape to serve as padding in the case:

Pelican Case for PCB Einsteins

Woah! Nice solution. I'm going to have to get crafty.

I have a White Lightning 1600, Einstein, AB800, Vagabond Mini and a spare battery all in a Pelican 1560. I pushed the limits of the memory foam though. It is falling apart. Would have been fine if I didn't move it around with some stuff in and some stuff out. It allowed the remaining contents to move and break up the dividers.

hardware stores also have too boxes in various sizes, some come with wheels. Might be an option if you find the right size, and they are not too expensive.
    I bought one for our family emergency supplies
    Arnt

Found this pic just now. This is the slightly smaller Pelican 1600.. so the 2720 will most definitely suite my purpose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7098063395_d6c25da460_z.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	1677

As much as I liked the idea of getting crafty, I just got myself a shiny new commercial client with a healthy commission, so suddenly I feel like being bullet proof for the sake of being bullet proof. My mind is made.

So now the only question that begs an answer is do I go with subtle black or in-your-face yellow?

Thanks all.

-Rocco
    Last edited by Rocco; 02-03-2013 at 04:33 AM.