Thread: What Do You Think of These?

What Do You Think of These?

What do you like/dislike about this shot? Is there anything I should change?

Both taken by Lake Ontario with my 40D and 55-250 IS.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.94/_5F00_MG_5F00_0239.jpg[/img]

179mm, ISO 200, f/8, 1/250

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.94/_5F00_MG_5F00_0231.jpg[/img]

232mm, ISO 200, f/8, 1/400

Re: What Do You Think of These?

I like the tighter composition better: less distractions and mor intimate feeling.

Great pics

I like the composition of the second one too. But I think you should crop the first one. It has better detail in the shadows, and you can see one persons face, which to me is a big difference. I like the seagull in the second one, but still I prefer the first one. The cranes are distracting too. Thanks for sharing them.

Tom

What I *personally* dislike in the composition is the fact that the head *just* touch the edge of the water in the background. It causes 'tension' in the composition when a different perspective would have solved that. I don't like that part. Higher or lower (depending on lights on the heads, otherwise they would disappear in the backrground) would have made it a better shot. But that is just my two cents, so please do not pay too much attention to that. Hey: what do I know :-)

Very, very true Madison...

I was on a beach, so going higher wasn't really an option.

Actually, in retrospect, moving closer and setting the tripod higher would have solved the problem just fine.

Lesson learned.

Now i'm starting to wonder if I should carry a ladder around on the top of my car...

Or long shutter release and a really long monopod, with continuous shooting bursts....

I think Madison has an excellent point, that I completely missed. But, still take the good where you got it. You captured well what looks like a meaningful moment.

BTW, did you know these people, or were you just 'That creepy camera guy'?

I was taking pictures of my kids in the park with a 100-400, and I was approached by a concerned mother (bless her heart) who wanted to know if I had taken pictures of her son, who was certain that I 'Aimed it right at him'... What a world.

Thanks Colin

Anyway I was that creepy camera guy, but given the silhouettes, I don't think there's any reason for concern - I was at least a good 50-60 feet away.

Also, they were facing away from me...