Thread: 70-200f4 LIS USM 70-300 L IS USM

70-200f4 LIS USM 70-300 L IS USM

Hello!
    I read his account for the 70-300 L
    I have a canon 550d and 17-55 f2.8 lens and I'd like a telephoto lens and am considering one of the two
    between 70-200 f4 IS and the 70-300 L
    I am a passionate novice and I'd like your advice
    I wanted to use for my travels
    Could you please explain to me how it goes
    thanks
    Barbara

RE: 70-200f4 LIS USM 70-300 L IS USM

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have the 70-200 f/4. I'm planning to sell this lens and get either The 70-200m f/4 IS version or the 70-300mm f/4-5.6

Right now I'm leaning toward the 70-200mm f/4 IS because it's sharper at 200mm and I don't think I'll get much use at 300mm. Also the difference in weight. The 70-200mm f/4 IS is lighter.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Patrick

Both are great lenses. IQ is about the same, the 70-200 is slightly sharper at 200 I believe, but not much.
    The 70-300 might be a little heavier, but not much - doesn't make a difference for me. It is a little shorter when retracted - might be relevant for you or not, depending on the bag you use.
    IS and AF are both very good, not sure if there is a difference at all in real life, even although the 70-300 is a newer design.

It comes down IMO to focal length range vs extending. You may prefer the not-extending 70-200, or the longer focal length range. For me the 300mm focal length was the deciding factor.
    Arnt

I have the 70-200 f/4 IS. I chose the 70-200 mainly because I take most of my pictures while hiking and the difference in weight isn't negligible when you carry the lens (and a bunch of other things of course) during the whole day. The other argument in his favor was the slightly less expensive price. The obvious advantage of the 70-300 is the focal length. From what I read, there are not a lot of differences in terms of performance (IQ and AF), so in the end in depends on what you do during your travels, what you like to take pictures of and how much weight you want to carry with you.

Both are great lenses and I don't think you'll be disappointed by any of the two. It would be nice to be able to see them and to try them on your camera to feel the difference between 200 and 300mm though.

Hello Barbara!

I do not know if you already has purchased a new lens? If so I wish you much fun with your new equipment!
    However - one little note the Canon EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM, has a fixed aperture of f/4, from 70-200mm, and also can take both Extenders (1.4X /2X) for use with all of the focal lenghts, sp maybe this might be an advantage over
    the 70-300L, which has a variable aperture, that starts to step down to f/5.6 at the range of 229 - 300 mm and also is not recommended for use of Canon Extenders - even if you cautiously can use them from the focal lenght of 250mm onward to 300mm, in order to get the clearance between the lens elements in the extender and the lens rear lens elements moving inside the lens barrel, and to the end 300mm - but both are very good producing excellent photos! Wishing you all the very Best and much fun in your photographing! /Best Regards, Charl

I have rented both Lenses in the past. I used both on my 550D.

Think people covered everything in above posts.
    only thing I can add
    Although the 70-300 is heavier, it takes up less space when not extended. So for me as a travel lens it would be my choice.