Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samyang Tilt-Shift 24 mm f/3.5

Samyang Tilt-Shift 24 mm f/3.5

Has anyone heard an update on this lens? It was announced last September and I recall seeing that it would be available in March. But I've yet been able to find pricing and it is not available for pre-order at the major sites.

Anyone else excited about this lens? I am hoping that the optics/cost are in line with the other Samyang lenses. If so, I can see adding it to my kit.

All I have seen points to a release date in March and a price in the GBP1000 range. If that is correct, you should expect something like USD1100-1200 in the US.
    I have never tried a Samyang lens myself, but I read good things about them.

This is probably 1 of ~4 lenses I am interested in and watching. But have spent my photography budget for now. So, I'll wait to see some reviews come in comparing it to the Canon vI and vII and talking about its mechanical quality.

I am not going to bite on the pre-order, but I am going to wait for reviews. If it turns out to be a great lens, then I probably will get one. I just do not want to be the guinea pig to find out if it is any good. The TSE 24 is something I have always wanted, but if the Samyang turns out to be as good (or slightly worse), then it would be worth the money.

Kids should be graduating college next year, which will start freeing up some money for photography.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

The Samyang 24mm f1.4 has been dogged by reports of being very soft at f1.4. This lens starts at f3.5, so maybe the softness problem won't be there. I'll wait and see from the reviews, though. It looks to be less than half the price of the Canon version, which is high on my wish list, so I'll be watching with a keen eye to see if it's the better option.
    Mark - Flickr

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CanyonLandsPano_DruidArch_6_PS_lowres.JPG 
Views:	167 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	1708

The Canon 24 TS II is one of my favorite lenses. The photo attached was taken at Druid Arch in Canyonlands Needle's District. Camera level, shifted up ca. 6mm, f8, HDR and stitched panorama from 4 vertical images, 7207 X 5607 final size.

If the Samsung has the IQ and the ability to change the tilt/shift axis like the canon, it might be a good deal. I know I love the whole process of using the TS lens and for landscape and panoramas, it is a lot of fun. Also, can do some very interesting close-ups by tilting the image plane.

I just saw this review referenced over at CR.

Looks very promising...

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sa...s-review-21853

Mark - Flickr

Doesn't look to be too shabby. Wide-open, and compared to one of the best lenses ever made (in the TS-E 24 L II), it's not as good. But don't forget, it's not even half the price.
    Stopped down to f/8-11, the resolution figures look damn nice though. If you want a TS lens for landscapes where everything's in focus, perfect. If you want to use tilt to get more DOF when using wider apertures, not so good. If you shoot Pentax or Sony, it's the best (only) you can get.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Doesn't look to be too shabby. Wide-open, and compared to one of the best lenses ever made (in the TS-E 24 L II), it's not as good. But don't forget, it's not even half the price.
    Stopped down to f/8-11, the resolution figures look damn nice though. If you want a TS lens for landscapes where everything's in focus, perfect. If you want to use tilt to get more DOF when using wider apertures, not so good. If you shoot Pentax or Sony, it's the best (only) you can get.
    Agreed. My primary concern wouldn't be the resolution as much as the build quality. I own the 8mm FE, the 14 2.8, and the 35 1.4. They're all very sharp stopped down and the 35 is even pretty sharp wide open. But the LR writer is correct when he says Roki's are essentially throw away lenses. At least, the primes are. At $200-$400, if they break badly and can't be fixed, get a new one. But the TS at $1000 is hardly in that category. I look forward to further testing in the hands of trusted reviewers like Bryan.
    Mark - Flickr