I've been looking at two lenses for some time now and have been saving up for one of them (maybe I'll save up for the other another time).

I'm trying to decide between the:
  • Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens
  • Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM lens

I'll provide some context for you. I own the Canon 7D, last year I purchased the Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L lens, it replaced my aging Canon 28-135mm lens; I love this lens, it's super sharp, colors are great, the constant f/4 is nice and the focal range is excellent for what I use it for. I also have the Canon EF 70-300 non-l lens and use is a lot of wildlife, etc.

I like the idea of replacing my current glass with better glass that is in the same focal range as what I own, which is why I like the 70-300L. I really need the reach and the 100-400 is just too much $ and too much weight. I also enjoy taking photos of fungus in the fall and budding plant life in the spring with my current setup- which does a decent job but it's no macro by a long shot. I played with the 100mm macro L last year and loved it.

Does anyone have real-world comparison photos of the 70-300 L vs non-L or any advice?