Thread: What happened to ZoomBrowser?

What happened to ZoomBrowser?

I posted this thread on Canon's forums in hopes to get Canon's attention that ImageBrowser EX is awful.
    forums.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/A-plee-to-Canon-Bring-BA...
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    I have used Canon ZoomBrowser EX since version 5; I am now using the latest version on Windows 8 and I love it. I've noticed that Canon has been attempting to replace it with ImageBrowser EX which, IMO is a horribly slow peice of software.

Here's what I absolutley hate bout ImageBrowser:

I have to connect my camera to install the software? Why???
    It's incredibly slow to load (It's installed on a SSD with 8GB of RAM, Lightroom is faster than this software)
    It's bulky and ugly
    There's no option to zoom in with ease nor is there any option to compare two or more photos side-by-side like you could in ZoomBroswer
    There's no option to sync two photos at once and zoom in or pan and scroll at the same time
    It's slow, did I mention that?
    It's not customizable
    When in near full screen mode, you cannot view the focal points
    nor can you view the image information like you can in ZoomBrowser.

Please re-consider re-instating ZoomBrowser... these bullet points are very important! Thank you.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know if Canon plans to bring back ZoomBrowser?
    --

I love ZoomBrowswer. I heard people complaining about Image Browser when if first came out... Valid complaints, like it crashes if you have too many photos, and chose to ignore it.

Why do I love ZoomBrowser? Because I can go through a folder of pictures quickly. The windows image viewer takes forever to decode each picture, maxing out my CPU causing my fan to go loud. Whatever ZB does, it does it nearly instantaneously.

There are two features I wish it had.
    1. To be able to zoom in. Perhaps it can with jpeg files, but the sliders are greyed out on RAW files.
    2. To just send my file to an external editor. Don't think about it. It complains that I must convert my RAW before I can edit it. No, my editor supports RAW, stop trying to outsmart me. Grrrr. Right now I have to find the file in explorer, after having found it in zoom browser. Not ideal.

Please feel free to chime in on the thread there.

I do agree that ZB is very fast at loading JPGs, even PNGs.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Photog82 View Post
    Does anyone know if Canon plans to bring back ZoomBrowser?
    It has been a while since Canon updated ZB so my guess is it will eventually be discontinued. ZB has more features than IB so maybe these will be incorporated in a futured version of IB before ZB is officially discontinued? It is probably to expensive to update and develop several software platforms. IB is bad and I do not use it. I do not think Canon is in a hurry to do any major changes or improving it as it comes for free.