Thread: DIY Macro Photography with a 50mm f/1.8 at (3x-4x magnification??)

DIY Macro Photography with a 50mm f/1.8 at (3x-4x magnification??)

I will add more description later, but this was shot with my diy macro lens "adapter"made from scrap pieces I had laying around the house. Now I know this shot does not have the greatest IQ, and sharpness, etc. but for literally zero cost to me, I am happy. Granted the parts I had laying around the house are worth something, but whatever.

If anybody can tell what magnification this would be at please let me know. I just guessed with 3x-4x.

Canon Rebel XS, 50mm f/1.8 @ f/5.6, Tv: 1/100s, ISO-200. Straight out of camera, just resized to 800px. Second shot at same settings but without the DIY macro lens "adapter."[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.45/IMG_5F00_9057.JPG[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.45/IMG_5F00_9058.JPG[/img]

Re: DIY Macro Photography with a 50mm f/1.8 at (3x-4x magnification??)

Did you use extension tubes, or did you use a reverse mount ring that threads onto the filter threads?

Absolutely not. I will upload a picture later when I get back home. But let me explain in words first. I took a 10x magnifier I had lying around. (very very similar to this, http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MTJ-E8AXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg) I cut a piece of wood with a one inch whole and inserted the magnifier into the wood and then screwed it in. I then attached the wood to a pringles can that slides over the 50mm lens. The pringles can is held on with a velcro strap. Viola! Picture will be up later tonight or tomorrow becuase I know it may be hard to understand when I explain it.

I think a good picture of your adapter would be a masterpiece in itself []

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.45/CIMG0299.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.45/CIMG0302.jpg[/img]

Not shown on camera because I do not have my XS with me at this exact moment. But you can easily imagine this slipped over the 50mm and strapped down with the red velcro. And btw, when using this, I use manual focus on the 50mm setting it to the minimum focus distance.

Of course right now it is not the prettiest looking thing in the world, but I will clean it up and probably redo the housing.

I think that's absolutely awesome as is.