Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5D Mark III

5D Mark III

Did I mention that the 5D III is a remarkable machine.

I base most of this on the advanced AF system.
    My out of focus shots even in low light has dropped dramatically,
    and I would venture to say most of the remainder are camera shake and DOF problems.

My biggest problem in post processing is that the larger I make the images the better they look, so I am cropping a lot of
    proofs real tight and in some head shots leaving out shoulders and at times the tops of heads, because the detail in the face is so sharp.

Did I mention the 5D III is a remarkable machine?

If the 1D series is anything like this, I can't wait.

Just as I choose the the 5D III for the AF system,
    I believe I will have similar excitement about the 1D having the exposure meter attached to the selected AF point (or group).

Thanks

Posts like this make me excited. I am traveling for work right now, but will pick mine up on Monday, sooner, weather permiting.

Invest the time needed to understand the AF options.
    I am an avid user of a single focus point, but have expanded to some other options with the 5D MARK III

It is so much more than an upgraded 5D II

Thanks

Stop it, you are making me jealous. I was thinking about getting the 6D, but after reading the 5D3 manual, I'm definitely going for the 5D3; that's if I can sell my 7D, lens and accessories.

Glad you are enjoying your new toy.

Trent
    EOS R5 and EOS R with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Extender EF 2x III, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 35mm f/1.2 IS USM, RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM, GORUCK GR-1 with TrekPak insert

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I'm definitely going for the 5D3; that's if I can sell my 7D, lens and accessories.
    Don't sell the 7D. Save up longer and keep two bodies. That way, you'll have a backup body if one needs repair. You'll also get to take advantage of the 7D's 8fps burst if shooting fast action and the 1.6x crop factor if you need more reach out of your lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Don't sell the 7D. Save up longer and keep two bodies. That way, you'll have a backup body if one needs repair. You'll also get to take advantage of the 7D's 8fps burst if shooting fast action and the 1.6x crop factor if you need more reach out of your lenses.
    I may end up keeping the 7D anyway, not having much luck selling it. I did think about having two bodies, but selling made more sense to me at least financially.
    EOS R5 and EOS R with RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Extender EF 2x III, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, EF 35mm f/1.2 IS USM, RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM, GORUCK GR-1 with TrekPak insert

5D Mark III

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Depending on what you do, having a backup body or a second body to use both at once may make a lot of sense.

For me, it makes less sense to have $ tied up in a second body. I expect I can live without the 1D X for a couple of weeks if necessary, when I travel I only take one body anyway (and if it were to die, I'd just buy a Rebel to finish the trip).

As for the 'reach advantage' of the 7D, IMO the 5DIII trumps it. At low ISO, an image from the 5DIII or 1D X cropped to the FoV of the 7D has equivalent IQ - if 8.5 (or 7) MP is enough for your use (prints up to ~16x24"), you're giving nothing up. At higher ISO (over 800) the IQ of the cropped FF image is better. Also, with the f/8 AF of the 1D X and 5DIII (in April), in many cases you can add a TC to your lens, meaning less cropping of the FF image and even better IQ.

Finally, the AF of the 5DIII (and 1D X) is more consistently accurate than the 7D.

At this point, I personally see no need for my 7D...

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    I had to debate on keeping a 7D body when I went from using 5D2's and 7D's. After selling one of each to get my first 5D3 body I spent some time evaluating the three bodies. The superior AF at 6fps gave more critically focused action type shots than the 7D's 8fps. The image quality and low light ability is superior to the 7D. The loss of the crop factor is what is sometimes missed from the 7D. If the type of shots you like to take now are making good use of the crop factor to get more pixels on the subject then I would say to have both. If you would benefit more from the wider angles of your lenses then the FF may be the better single body to have. It is always nice to have a backup, or second body with lens already attached, at an event or almost any other photo taking opportunity. One nicety of having both is that the batteries are the same which is a great convenience.
    My shooting is all over the place. I love shooting candid shots, landscape, action, portraits; you name it, I'll try shooting it. I have always shot a cropped sensor camera starting with the Digital Rebel then moving to the 7D. I may end up keeping the 7D if I can not sell it, and find a way to move to the 5D3.
    Last edited by Rogue; 02-09-2013 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Fix my typing.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Depending on what you do, having a backup body or a second body to use both at once may make a lot of sense.

For me, it makes less sense to have $ tied up in a second body. I expect I can live without the 1D X for a couple of weeks if necessary, when I travel I only take one body anyway (and if it were to die, I'd just buy a Rebel to finish the trip).

As for the 'reach advantage' of the 7D, IMO the 5DIII trumps it. At low ISO, an image from the 5DIII or 1D X cropped to the FoV of the 7D has equivalent IQ - if 8.5 (or 7) MP is enough for your use (prints up to ~16x24"), you're giving nothing up. At higher ISO (over 800) the IQ of the cropped FF image is better. Also, with the f/8 AF of the 1D X and 5DIII (in April), in many cases you can add a TC to your lens, meaning less cropping of the FF image and even better IQ.

Finally, the AF of the 5DIII (and 1D X) is more consistently accurate than the 7D.

At this point, I personally see no need for my 7D...
    1D X :-)~~ I would get three more jobs to save up for that. I agree with you about having money tied up in a second body, it doesn't make sense. On the other hand, Sean and jrw do offer good reasons for having a second body. I'm going to give it another week or two to see if I can still sell my 7D.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I may end up keeping the 7D anyway, not having much luck selling it. I did think about having two bodies, but selling made more sense to me at least financially.
    here's a recommendation: buy two pocket wizards and a pocket wizard remote trigger cable. put a wide-angle lens on the 7d and a telephoto on the 5d. whenever the 5d fires, the 7d captures the whole scene. works beautifully for sports.