Thread: Canon EOS 650D (T4i) - Noise using any shooting mode w/ <1600 ISO & <f4.5

Canon EOS 650D (T4i) - Noise using any shooting mode w/ <1600 ISO & <f4.5

Howdy to all,

First of all, Canon's online customer service rocks!

Took some shots in Standard Picture Style. Initially I had it on Landscape. Canon replied back right away indicating my mistake. Retook some shots, verdict on noise?

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/9897/img3179lr.jpg
    Image 3179: Manual mode, Evaluative Metering, AWB, 4.26mb, shutter speed 1/20, aperture f4.5, ISO 800, no flash

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3104/img3180lj.jpg
    Image 3180: Same as previous pic except with flash. 5.65mb

Thanks,
    Alex
    Last edited by T4i_noob; 02-09-2013 at 06:14 AM.

Re: Canon EOS 650D (T4i) - Noise using any shooting mode w/ <1600 ISO & <f4.5

I haven't played around with pictures styles in a long time, so I'm clueless as to what they do. What's the difference between the two?
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Re: Canon EOS 650D (T4i) - Noise using any shooting mode w/ <1600 ISO & <f4.5

Gotcha. It was sharpening the noise. Was curious why the styles changed the amount of visible noise.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

This was a fault on my part. Under the shooting scenes, every slider has the zero (0) in the center. By mistake I assumed without clearly looking that the zero (0) for Sharpness was also in the center. So I applied a +1 sharpness setting, when in fact it was a +6 sharpness setting. Yay!

Canon customer service reviewed the original images and told me my error. Which is awesome because like JRW stated, I changed both Contrast & Sharpness to get what I wanted.

Thanks guys.

T4i_noob,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Your T4i has an APS-C sensor. Because of the small size of the sensor the noise levels can be unacceptable at ISO 800 or 1600. Your best bet to control the noise at these levels is to shoot in RAW and convert to jpeg with DPP which came with your camera or with Photo Shop.
    Mark