Thread: What do you think of this background stand?

What do you think of this background stand?

I'm looking at buying a stand (sub-$100) for propping backgrounds for our upcoming newborn photos (and maybe others if I'm OK at it). I found this on B&H and the reviews seem pretty positive. What do you guys think?

Also, paper vs. muslin? What would be better for a black background?
    --

I purchased my background stand back in April 2010 off of a ebay store. I paid about $55 + $15 shipping and it came with a 6x9 off-white background. I'm not sure what material it was but it was very durable. I still use the stand today and it works fine for me.

This is their direct website ...
    http://www.dmkfoto.com/category_s/21.htm

I know there are better out there but it has worked fine for me. I used it alot the first few years but not so much as of lately. Also, since then I purchased a few muslin backgrounds on ebay and one blackground from a local craft store and I so much prefer the velvet background! In fact, I sold two of the muslins and still have one that I never use. IMO, the muslin shows too much wrinkles.

Quote Originally Posted by Photog82 View Post
    Also, paper vs. muslin? What would be better for a black background?
    Paper is going to be seamless, but once it has been tread upon enough it is no longer useful. Muslin shows wrinkles like Denise said, but if it gets dirty you wash it, and if you are using black background you will likely not be able to see the wrinkles if your lighting is set up so that it is underexposed.

I bought this set: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rt_System.html

and have been quite happy with it. It came with a nice case too!

Hope this helps,

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

What do you think of this background stand?

I've got the Manfrotto 1314b setup. Very sturdy, 9' cross bar, the stands are air-cushioned and can hold a monolight if needed. My kids (3 and 5) have yanked on the hung backdrop with no issue.

Muslin needs TLC - wrinkles ironed out or a dryer cycle with fabric softener and those nubby little spheres that beat the clothes up, or work in post. Paper doesn't have the wrinkles, but some reviews indicate a roll is too heavy for the Impact stand, and many rolls are 9' (the Manfrotto set holds them fine for width and weight, the Impact has an 8' cross bar).

Good tip on the velvet, Denise - I may try that out!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    I've got the Manfrotto 1314b setup. Very sturdy, 9' cross bar, the stands are air-cushioned and can hold a monolight if needed. My kids (3 and 5) have yanked on the hung backdrop with no issue.

Muslin needs TLC - wrinkles ironed out or a dryer cycle with fabric softener and those nubby little spheres that beat the clothes up, or work in post. Paper doesn't have the wrinkles, but some reviews indicate a roll is too heavy for the Impact stand, and many rolls are 9' (the Manfrotto set holds them fine for width and weight, the Impact has an 8' cross bar).

Good tip on the velvet, Denise - I may try that out!
    Velvet does work beautifully for me. I don't have anywhere to hang them when not in use so even if the muslin was good to go for one shoot, I would have to fold it up and put it away. When I brought it out again, I was back to having to iron it first and I am sort of allergic to ironing! I'd like to get a dark green velvet before spring to use as a background for my tabletop flower shots but changing the color of the black one in post works well for now.