Thread: PCB Einsteins - first impressions and pic

Exclamation PCB Einsteins - first impressions and pic

WELL! Got my lights! I don't know how I got by with just one flash for so long.. I'm hooked!

The past three years of shooting dslr's, I've only had and used my one 430exII. During that time I have read plenty of books and seen countless videos on lighting behavior, how to shape and control it, color correction, etc. I knew a good amount of the theory without having put any of it into practice. Now that I have two Einsteins and my one 430 I feel.. liberated? These lights are everything I had hoped for, and more.

Here's what I got:
    2 PCB einsteins
    2 vagabond minis
    2 PW MC2
    1 PW TT5
    1 PW Mini TT1
    1 PW AC3 Zone Controller
    2 PCB Heavy Duty Air Cushioned Light Stands
    I PCB Large Foldable Softbox
    1 PCB 64" Silver PLM Umbrella with diffusion sock
    1 PCB 22" White Beauty Dish
    1 Manfrotto Super Boom
    ..and assorted accessories, sandbags, etc.

I was a bit overwhelmed when I started setting everything up last night, But just started by getting my ambient the way I wanted (black). Was somewhere around f/22, ISO 100, 1/320 sec. (with the einsteins, at that aperture, that's the fastest I was able to go before I saw the shutter bars) I then started building my pic one light at a time, starting with the brightest. Here's my best result!

This is my roommate Spencer.

Seriously looking for some major feedback here. Like I said before, This is my first time using more than one light source, not counting a reflector or the sun.

On this one the main light is a beauty dish - camera left, a large softbox boomed overhead for a kiss of fill - camera right, and behind him is the 430exII as the rim light adding separation - camera right.

His eyes are a little dark, but I couldn't work out how to breathe some life into those without ruining the mood I had created. He's kind of an intense guy, so I wanted an edgy, three dimensional portrait.

Thanks in advance guys, You're always super helpful.

-Rocco
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Looks like you've got a good setup to start out with. I must warn you, though, you'll never feel like you have enough lights (I have 7 monolights now).

I like the result, though I prefer a little more light on the eyes (but I know you were going for a darker, edgy effect). I'm interested to see how you like the Manfrotto Super Boom. It looks like a great piece of equipment - but I don't think it would travel as well as my current setup.

You're going to love the monolights even more when you take them outside.

Re: PCB Einsteins - first impressions and pic

I'm scared of the guy, if that's the look you're going for
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Looks like you've got a good setup to start out with. I must warn you, though, you'll never feel like you have enough lights (I have 7 monolights now).
    WOW! I kind of know what you mean, already. I really want another speedlite and another mono block.

I'm interested to see how you like the Manfrotto Super Boom. It looks like a great piece of equipment - but I don't think it would travel as well as my current setup.
    Man.. it's substantial. That's the best descriptor I can come up with. The thing is like an inch and a half in diameter, and as you probably know, it's all one piece, eight feet long, and doesn't collapse at all. That being said.. I'm SO GLAD I went with this one as opposed to the more portable option. I am in love with the gears! Can't believe how well they re-position the light without having to bring down the boom arm. The whole thing feels rock solid.. doesn't have any give. And the clamp on counter-weight is pretty rad too.

I love it so much that I'm shopping for a roof rack for my car.. just because of the boom arm.

You're going to love the monolights even more when you take them outside.
    Cant wait!! Weather hasn't been cooperating yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by andnowimbroke View Post
    I'm scared of the guy, if that's the look you're going for
    Totally! And thinking about it.. I think that not having his eyes lit well has a lot to do with that. Darkest part of his face. Can't trust someone when you can't see their eyes.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Re: PCB Einsteins - first impressions and pic

I don't know if a snoot at low power would look more menacing or not. It would be hard to hit even if you wanted to.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

For this shot, I think you could have gone a little more oblique with the key and had it further behind him and the at would give more edge to the cheeks and let the shadow of the eye socket wrap around the brow a little more. That in turn would darken the inner portion of the eye socket then you can bring you fill down some and catch the eyes a bit without losing the moodiness. Ratios look good though. With the key further back behind you might be able to eliminate the fill light and replace with a reflector and you wont have to worry about getting low enough power. Shooting at f22 that probably isn't an issue though.

Looks good to me but I'd prefer some mystery for the expression. Maybe decreasing the fill on camera right -- but that's just me.

Cheers!
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B View Post
    For this shot, I think you could have gone a little more oblique with the key and had it further behind him and the at would give more edge to the cheeks and let the shadow of the eye socket wrap around the brow a little more. That in turn would darken the inner portion of the eye socket then you can bring you fill down some and catch the eyes a bit without losing the moodiness. Ratios look good though. With the key further back behind you might be able to eliminate the fill light and replace with a reflector and you wont have to worry about getting low enough power. Shooting at f22 that probably isn't an issue though.
    Keith,

Thanks for the critique. I have been thinking about this a lot since you mentioned it. Enough that it's already starting to change my approach. I'm grateful.