Thread: Vello Mini Softbox

Vello Mini Softbox

I'm looking at spending a few bucks on a softbox, I'm not sure it's something I'd like or not which is the reason as to why I want to spend a little amount of money. I would use this for when I can't bounce the light off of a ceiling.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I've read the reviews on B&H, but I'd like to hear what you guys think as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...-header-749296

After doing some more research, what's the difference between the softbox being a square in an octagon?
    http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-S...=canon+softbox
    Last edited by Photog82; 02-14-2013 at 08:20 PM.
    --

Vello Mini Softbox

This type of modifier is generally used with high/dark ceilings where you cannot bounce your on-camera flash. It's not very big at all, meaning to actually get soft light out of it, you've got to put it really close to your subject. Useful for close ups, not for group shots, etc.

Octagon vs. square changes the shape of the catchlights in the eyes - octagonal is closer to round and can be more pleasing than square.

Do you have a portable (relatively cheap) suggestion for group shots if I can't bounce off of the ceiling?
    --

Vello Mini Softbox

Depends on the size of the group. But regardless, you're likely going to want to get the flash off the camera, meaning a light stand, modifier (softbox or umbrella, the latter is cheaper) and a way to trigger the flash. Basically, at the distance away your flash would be to light a group, the modifiers you linked won't give light any softer than a bare flash.

For two people, a 24" softbox is ok. Larger groups, with a speedlite for power, you're probably looking at more than one flash.

I'd suggest reading Syl Arena's "Speedliter's Handbook" as a great place to start.

I'll check out that book, I've always wanted to have better Christmas party photos of the family. Every year we get together for a party and each immediate family poses for photos and they never come out good because there's too many people taking the photos. This year I want to change that.

I think I may just buy the Cowboy softbox since it's only $13 and with my Prime membership it's free shipping. It'll be a good start for me to experiment with.
    --