Thread: ISO 12233 comparison tool: Why do some images have a different FOV?

ISO 12233 comparison tool: Why do some images have a different FOV?

For example, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM and Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II are both APS-C lenses on APS-C cameras, yet the pictures are completely different... Why?
    I can speculate, but it would be nice to have a concrete answer.

In the link below the cameras are different:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...mp=0&APIComp=0

It is the 60D versus the 30D.

Dave

Thanks Dave. After playing with the camera options on the 200mm f2 it's clearer what's going on.

I was confused because I thought most of the pictures were adjusted to get the same FOV regardless of resolution, but it looks like the images are strictly un-edited clips at a specific resolution pulled straight off the camera.
    I would say it would be nice if the entire set were updated using the same camera every five years or so, but even for a website as popular as this it's probably unrealistic to hold onto such an exhaustive set of hardware (not to mention the time investment).

Quote Originally Posted by 9VIII View Post
    I was confused because I thought most of the pictures were adjusted to get the same FOV regardless of resolution, but it looks like the images are strictly un-edited clips at a specific resolution pulled straight off the camera.
    I would say it would be nice if the entire set were updated using the same camera every five years or so, but even for a website as popular as this it's probably unrealistic to hold onto such an exhaustive set of hardware (not to mention the time investment).
    Exactly. THe way an ISO 12233 chart works is you fill the frame with the chart image (there are guide marks at the edges for different aspect ratios, e.g. 3:2 like Canon dSLRs, 4:3, etc.). So, the distance is different for APS-C vs. FF, but the same for each sensor format regardless of MP count.

It looks like Bryan does shoot most (maybe all?) Canon-mount FF-compatible lens with a 1DsIII. Most APS-C-only lenses are shot on the xxD body available at the time, and sometimes a newer one.

As you noticed, the 200mm primes (f/2.8L II and f/2L IS) have been tested with many bodies, to compare sensor performance with the same lens.