Thread: Eye-Fi and other Wireless Transmitters

Eye-Fi and other Wireless Transmitters

Does anyone use Eye-Fi cards or other wireless transmitters? Are they just for wireless transmitting of image files or can they be used to control the camera similar to the built in wi-fi on the Canon 6D?

I see that the Canon 5DIII is "optimized" for the Eye-Fi card, but it seems that is still just for transmitting of image files and not control. If anyone uses Eye-Fi cards, how do you like them?

Just wondering. Thanks,
    Brant

I have the Eye-Fi Connect | X2 4GB + WiFi. I haven't used it in a while but it was kind of cool to transfer pics to my iPad or iPhone. With high rez jpegs it was super s-l-o-w so I would write RAW files to the CF card and write small jpeg to the Eye-Fi card for a speedier transfer. It was still by no means instantaneous.

I have never read anything about it allowing you to control your camera....

I use a 16gb Pro X2 in my 5DIII and my 1DsIII. You can't control the camera remotely.

The 5DIII optimization just means it has a menu list to disable it and show you the status. It will also show a Eye-fi logo on images that were successfully transferred.

I use them to send jpeg previews to my iPad so clients can preview images. I hate being tethered and really hate folks handling the camera looking at the back. This is great when working agencies or shooting heads.

Thanks. Sounds like a cool feature for working professionals.