Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: APS-C lens frustration.

I joined these forums about a year ago, and until just recently been using a t2i.

Very happy with it, changing to better lens was huge improvement.

I could just buy one of the many great prime full frame lenses out there, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I'm not getting the most out of the lens if you go that route.
    I didn't think it would, but I honestly think my lens (24-105) performs better on the 7D , I speculate it would be even better on a full frame... so theoretically, yes you won't get the most out of the lens.. however it will be huge improvement over standard kit lens.

I have spent a lot of time researching and reading in the last year.

I understand what your saying, but I personally don't see it as an issue.
    For the most part there is an equivalent option to the standard full frame lens.

10-22mm instead of 16-35
    17-55mm instead of 24-70
    85mm instead of 100
    20mm instead of 35
    28 or 35 instead of 50.

the only real problem so far is the physical limitations of the format on the wide end of the focal length scale
    The 10-22 is rather wide, I personally enjoy the aps-c format as I like the longer range. I prefer some distance between me and my subject.

Try and enjoy what your camera offers, don't worry so much about the technical aspects.

I will try to say something helpful before I publish my own issue here

I had Canon since I remember, 35mm, then T1i, then 60D and now 5D mk3. It was the jump to full frame that was most troubling.

I always managed to get a good sigma lens on my other cameras, on the DSLRs, the Sigma 17-70 2.8-5.6 (or is it 2.8-4?) without the IS. It was superb, it was spectacular it was better than any Sigma primes and I felt like I had the only Sigma lens that was worth anything.

I put it (Sigma 17-70 "DC" lens) on my 60D right next to a 5D with a Canon 17-40 f4. The 17mm setting on both lenses matched almost precisely, as did the 40mm range. So that was my general understanding of how Sigma DC lenses were made. 17mm Sigma DC lens means 17, not 1.6x. Anyway, the 17-40 was a horrid lens fyi. I returned it.

I have longed for something that created the beautiful pictures that the Sigma 17-70 created. The wide angles, without vignetting, the perfect 70's, always perfect. I had already started buying FF lenses in prep for a 5Dmk3 so I kept hanging onto the 60D simply for that Sigma 17-70. I finally sold the pair and it was a great loss.

Now, with FF lenses, my world is no longer the center of the light circle of a variety of FF lenses, the cream of the crop has been replaced with more noticable pin cushion, vignetting and the outer edges, the crust of the pizza as it were, when I was accustomed to the cheesy middle area.

I know that the best addition I can make to my gear is a crop sensor APS-C camera, simply so I can hit those sweet spots and make good use of the tons of good glass that is out there made just for them. Beware though, a lot of it is rubbish. A lot more than used to be, it would seem. Sigma has some serious QC problems, but I have been lucky a couple of times.

Don't jump on the FF bandwagon so quickly. If you jump, take the APSC along for the ride and get right into medium format if you can.

Hope that helps.