Thread: Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM Macro

Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM Macro

Though not a Canon lens, I thought this to be a good venue to ask a question.

As a big fan of primes, I am considering this lens for portraits, macro of course and some general walk around use on my Canon 30D.

Any opinions on this?

Thanks for any feedback.

John

Re: Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM Macro

Hi John,

I owned this same setup in 2007. The Sigma 150 is a sharp lens and it's build quality is excellent. It will do those things you listed very wellindeed. The only problem I had was some ca in certain sitiuations.I only noticed it when a photo here or there was rejected on various stock sites. I doubt you will even notice except maybe the most extreme situation. You will be hard pressed to find a sharper lens. Auto focus is slowbut that should be expected with a true 1:1 macro lens. Check outsomegreat photos and comments here: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/150_28_apo_ex_dg_macro_hsm.

Good day,

Don

I have owned the 150/2.8 for quite sometime, it is an amazingly sharp lens. It surely takes care of all macro shots I'll ever need.

However, I'm not sure you will be satisfied or not if you're going to use this lens for general purpose or portrait. I personally found that 150mm on a 1.6x body is a bit too long for portrait, even head&shouder shots. For general purpose, just keep in mind that the Sigma's autofocus ability is far behind Canon's, it will suffer in low light for sure; even in good lighting condition it's not even as fast and consistent. I once tried to use this lens for sport, it was hard. One last thing, the vignette will not go away no matter how you stop this lens down on a FF body.

So overall i think the Sigma is more dedicated to macro as it offers amazing sharpness and a long enough working distance. I don't use it much beyond macro applications.

Reagrds,

Ben

Absolutelygreat lens I own. With the extra reach I cable my flash handheld and saved $$$ not needing a ring flash...smart