Thread: Multi Lens Beatdown -> Sigma 70-200 f2.8 vs Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS vs Canon 28-70Lf2.8

Multi Lens Beatdown -> Sigma 70-200 f2.8 vs Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS vs Canon 28-70Lf2.8

My most difficult questions isn’t related to photography: My ex girlfriend replied to my recent youtube video of my cat, a Maine Coon, taking a 15 minute hike in the snow. My ex didn’t write me for 2 months almost. She finds the cat video adorable ( I find my ex very adorable). Why is she replying to me now? Ok, on to some photography related issues. (I cant post in public a video of a cat in a blizzard or people would get angry, however mounting a Galaxy note on the bottom of a Swiffer Sweeper holder for ground angle of a cat walking is fun)

Ok. I was flipping out Friday and had to make decisions about camera gear on Monday morning. So this was what I had intended to post on Saturday, although the situation has been resolved mostly. Thanks to the admin for getting my account registered! I guess I had to sort it out on my own already, but thanks again!

Here are the basics. Consider these lenses and gear.
    Cameras
    Canon EOS 5D MK3
    Lenses
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM*
    Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8 L USM*
    Canon EF 17-35mm f/2.8L USM
    Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Tilt Shift (bought new in 2012)
    Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II (bought new in 2011)

Now understand that these two * are recently purchased in early Feb to last week, through a very reputable dealer of second hand and new camera gear. The 17-35 was also used, same store, its beautiful. So was a former APSC Sigmaa 17-70 that was also beautiful. The source is reputable, but they can’t do finite testing on every lens that they go through, I understand.

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM *used
    Canon EF 28-70mm f/2.8 L USM *used

I did a quick in store test of the Canon 70-200 and it had better color than the 70-200, back to back, via camera LCD. They seemed the same clarity. I bought it. I shot 3 runway fashion shows (without setting WB) and the pictures were good (in raw), 2400 images that day, 800 usable (models legs in the right places). So I was waiting for the Sigma 70-200 to sell on Craigslist but it didn’t.

I need to round out my gear with a general purpose lens that can do portraits and studio fashion, plus indoor events or wedding [pause] I feel like I should be writing an article, not a post. [continue] I go into aforementioned used equipment store to pick up a golden find I saw on their site. The 28-70 f2.8 for under $900. It seems ok in store. I get home and start shooting my credit cards (using them as test subjects) at various focal lengths to test the lens further because it was doing a little focus dance.

The 28-70 was horrid. Then I tested both 70-200 and the 28-70, at 70mm. That’s 3 lenses shooting at 70mm, comparing them. The 28-70, again, was horrid. I put it aside. I started shooting the Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS (ver 1) compared to the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II (non IS) and the Sigma is blowing away the Canon. I put everything away, untether, delete everything, end the session and go to bed.

Saturday I do more testing. Same results. I tried setting AF Microadjustment and the 28-70 was backfocusing -5 or 6 on W and T. The Canon 70-200 was just nasty all the way. That IS is nice but it doesn’t matter if its not sharp or if youre not shooting inanimate objects anyway. So… off topic but I think IS is nice but then again, I prefer not having it because I shoot people who usually move their bodies faster than those 2 or 3 stops it gives you, thus they blur. Anyway…

With $2600 invested in these two lenses I was facing a delimna. I was selling the Sigma 70-200 to recoup part of the $1600 I paid for the used Canon 70-200 but it hadnt sold. That is good.

I ultimately took both the Canon 28-70 and the Canon 70-200 back and got a refund. My decision at that point was to buy a Canon 24-105 f4, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 (both about a G ($1k)) and end up with $1500 for some lights, since I recently sold mine. Figuring if I sold the Sigma long lens, I would have netted a Canon L 70-200 f2.8 IS for $700 and bought a Canon 28-70 f2.8 for under $900.

Wht happened is I ended up getting a Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II for about $2250 new and I am down about $700 and 2 full days of testing rubbish lenses for peace of mind. I also have no lighting kit as I sold my tungsten and CFL, lights, modifiers, etc. with goals to upgrade later.

I didn’t get the Sigma because I know they have QC issues. I have a wonderful Sigma 70-200 non IS and I used to own a 17-70 f2.8-5.6 DC Macro that will take a lot of L lenses to the finish line, but I don’t want to gamble on Sigma QC at this point. I also don’t want to shoot high ISO on an f4 lens indoor, so the Canon 24-105 f4 is out.

I cant think of any other solution to the problem that I faced. I need to find lights, I don’t want to get cheap as dirt monolights but I might have to. I really don’t even have the budget for it.

My gear list is on the forum profile, I need to add 1 thing though, I have a Lumiquest Softbox for the speedlight. I want to get a Zigview especially since I am tall for events and handheld portrait sort of things with the zigview mounted on the flash bracket if anyone knows if that’s a good product, please do tell.

WOW......what was the question???
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Sorry, but my attention span isn't that long.
    Can you post the Cat in blizzard video?
    Those that would complain about such a video should realize Cat's have fur, built for the cold and it may actually enjoy being out in the snow.

Also, sell everything but your tilt shift. Buy the 24-70mm f/2.8 II and the 70-200mm f/2.8 II. Then you shouldn't have much to pick over.

@Steve I'm not sure what the questions is either!!!

I was trying to sort this out with help but I had to make the decision on my own already, I was curious if there were better solutions than what I chose.

@HDNitehawk Yes, the tilt shift is awesome. I use that as a carry around lens very often. I end up using shift on so many things. Imagine going to museums and pictures are hung high, so I shift to fix perspective. The tilt is a lot of fun and I think it is absolutely great for portraits, if you compose in 3D, using DOF and tilt, you can do really wild things with background items. I learned this by chance, with a vertical || tilt and a path going to the top right corner of the background, the path was put into focus (max tilt and at f2.8) and it looked wild. I'm not that good at the 3D composition of tilt but I hope to improve at it. Sort of like photo bombing something into the background by bringing it into focus.

A pointer to anyone with a tilt shift, if you havent already, shoot a crowd of people from slight elevation. Its important to have detailed objects in the whole image. Shift through all arpetures and tilt settings and youll realize what the lens can do by watching the short video later on with a larger screen.

I am happy with the Sigma 70-200 so it has to remain the long lens for now and budget responsible. The 17-35 is crisp and I use it for packed event photos where I can get groups of 3 from 2 feet away and panoramics, albeit I use this lens at 35mm usually.

I did get the 24-70 f2.8L II. It is wonderful. $2258

Now it is time to get some cheap monolights. Thanks for the input!

Does anyone know much about the Zigview with removable screen? I would put that on the flash bracket and shoot from waste height for those mobile scenarios using the 600exrt and a lumiquest softbox.

Recent experience in relation to the flash softbox on the flash bracket: Gotta love those event venues with 10' ceilings painted all white!! Where does 4' diameter crisp white tubular HVAC ductwork come from, omg, its like bounce lighting heaven!

i have to think about the cat video post, because I am harsh with her in her harness on leash and it is also walking to my apartment which is sort of private. She is in training, warm weather she walks home on her own mostly, but I pick up the leash when near streets (not in the park), it goes right into my apartment, where you can even hear a young woman get frightened about the cat. Its also 1am, so the snow is fresh but lighting is bad and there are not as many people to bother us, yet there is always 1, whom had apparently never seen a cat in all her 60 some odd years of life and felt compelled to strike up conversation in the midst of my recording. I am tugging her along on several occasions and she meows every so often, but you dont know the cat well, she meows about EVERYTHING so the video could be misconstrued as me being mean. The cat comes into the bathroom, pulls the curtain aside, sticks her head in and meows like I am in grave danger.

Edit: The cat does this shower thing every day (I am clean! lol) , but I was not in the shower after walking in the park that night. Its an unrelated event. Also, the young woman that screamed in fear of a fluffy white cat with some tabby markings on her, was in the hallway, not in the apartment. The one in the apartment just says hi as always but is not audible. It just seems like I type too many ideas at once eh? lol
    Last edited by UmiKaibutsu; 02-26-2013 at 02:54 PM.