Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for the ideal portrait lens

Re: Looking for the ideal portrait lens

I personally use the 85mm f/1.8 as my portrait lens. It works beautifully at all apertures, even wide open, and the range is just perfect for me because I like doing chest up shots. And physically it just looks like a beast, and it's nice to un-mount it and compare the sheer massiveness of the rear element to any other lens of less aperture.

Here's two of mine I personally love that were taken with this lens. They aren't exactly what you'd call a "portrait", but they're close enough and it shows the awesomeness of this lens. The brokeh is absolutely stunning even stopped down as these two were.

Canon Rebel XT, 1/800 second , F/3.2, 85 mm, ISO 200

Canon Rebel XT, 1/250 second , F/5.0, 85 mm, ISO 200

All-in-all, I Highly recommend this lens.

EF 135mm L F2

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett-Grimsley

All-in-all, I Highly recommend this lens.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by SupraSonic

EF 135mm L F2
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Dude, don't make me lust! [:P]

Canon "Delighting You Always" that sound LUSTY to me.... LOL

Thank you all for the numorous replies, they were all very helpful and I honestly say that this was a great first experience on this forum.

I have decided to get the 85mm 1.8F and the 50mm 1.4F, both of them are great lenses from what I've heard and read and great value. As for the 'L' grade lenses, they will come when I'll have the appropriate camera to use them(full frame or atleast bigger then 1.6x.)

So, thank you all for the help.
    J&oslash;rundr J&oslash;rgensen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorundr-Jorgensen

I have decided to get the 85mm 1.8F and the 50mm 1.4F, both of them are great lenses from what I've heard and read and great value. As for the 'L' grade lenses, they will come when I'll have the appropriate camera to use them(full frame or atleast bigger then 1.6x.)

Great choices, and the combo will serve you very well. I did want to mention that you already have an "appropriate" camera to use 'L' grade lenses - the 400D is a fine camera. The two lenses you chose, as well as the 85L and many others, will open up new abilities with your camera. In many cases, lenses are the smartest addition to a photographer's arsenal, NOT a better camera.

Sample from a 400D with 85/1.2L (f/1.2, ISO 800, 1/30th):

Sample using a 40D and the Canon EF-S 17-55/2.8 (38mm, f/2.8 ISO 1600 1/15th) at the same aquarium:

The 400D/85L shot "suffers" from the thin DoF of the 85L (and/or its slow focusing) and was shot much slower than the theoretical limit of handholding, but demonstrates that the 400D can be a great aquarium lens. The 40D/17-55EFS shot was at ISO 1600 (the native ISO limit of that camera, though it can be expanded to 3200), while the 400D/85L shot was at ISO 800 (one stop below the limit, though it's about my normal threshold of pushing the camera) and still ends up with twice the shutter speed.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Good choices, both lenses, can take some great photos. I am curious though what people think about having both. They are both very good, are they similar enough though that a little bit of footwork negates the difference? Maybe 50mm and 100mm would give better range? I think the 100mm may even be a little better rated lens(very close though).

The comments about the 135L are good too. It is the best lens I have ever used. Wicked sharp, and awesome for portraits. It is limited in its use on a cropped sensor as I am sure you know. It is just too long.

Tom

Hello all-

This is my first post too! I'm venturing into my own photography business (slowly)...but feeling a bit isolated right now so I am looking forward to becoming connected to a community of photographers!

I'm looking for suggestions for lenses that would help me take group pictures indoors in low light situations. For example, family pictures at the altar during weddings. I've rented the Canon 85mm and love it, but use it more for candids and portraits at the reception and during the ceremony. I need a lens that's going to allow me to get that nice close posed shot of the wedding party or 25 members of a family. I have a Canon 50D and have used a 18-200 lens with studio lights (but then you always have shadows somewhere or glares on glasses...all which lead to more time in Photoshop than I want to spend!)

Any suggestions? I'm planning to rent first to try something out and once I know I love it then I'll buy.