Thread: Canon's new video sensor, hmmm interesting

Canon's new video sensor, hmmm interesting

Interesting low light capabilities if you can deal with a 1920 x 1080 - I can only imagine what will be coming next.

This last weekend I was part of a session w/ the "X Prize" guy - what a blast.

Talking about challenging the status quo, standard paradigm, etc.

Any thoughts about it?
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

http://www.canon.com/news/media/20130304mov.mp4

The stars were impressive, but didn't make me think it was anything majorly improved.
    The incense didn't impress me much either. I've taken shots in candle light.
    The full moon building/tree video though... that's when I was impressed. It looked like daylight!

I remember a long time ago.... about 18 months..... I thought it would be interesting to contemplate and camera w/ interchangeable sensors - perhaps just different cameras is the pragmatic answer - but with something as low light possible as this sensor it becomes an interesting question of having a "low light" body, a ultra high resolution body, HDR body, etc. Maybe someday in the future there will be an ultra low light, ultra dynamic range, ultra resolution sensor, but until then.... (yes I know the d800 is a heck of body/sensor, but I am suggesting something like this new sensor).

.03 lux - what kind of ISO conversion (I am not savvy enough in the algerbra to do the multi step conversion to ISO) properly light by .03 lux like the one on the video - 1 ft to the subject, 6ft to the camera, and what looks like a f1.2 lens. Or the jacked up sensitivity of the full moon shot. EDIT - just found a web site that suggested this would be about 400k iso +/- for the incense shot - implies something like 1mill for a .01 lux (moon shot) that is that "clean" an image ooof.

the next gee whiz moment is the quality of the image - prior night vision hardware was very noisy - so what level of light has the same image quality/visibility for our heroes in uniformed services or the biologist researcher in some far off jungle?

I just enjoy marveling at all this cool stuff and images.
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 03-06-2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: found more data

Ha....it has been rumored..........as has just about every other number of MP between 36 MP and 54 MP. But it is one of the more common rumors. One of them will be right...someday.....

I also recall a recent announcement on new medium format backs....I think this may be what I saw go by:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news...ormat-backs-an

I have to admit that when I started back into photo, I thought perhaps I would entertain a 'blad until I saw the price! Talk about the grease spot on the road to my expectations!!!

I agree with JRW that the engineering challenges on a swappable sensor really doesn't match up w/ the cost alternatives of just having a 2nd/3rd body. I would think a sensor cartridge, etc would be 800-1000 and for 2,500 you would have a fully redundant body and have built in backups.

I have heard of such uber pixel rumors body - I am pretty happy w/ my 5dIII, my friends w/ the d800 find they have to step up the shutter speed a stop or more in order to take advantage of the extra resolution, otherwise they have to sharpen it back to something like 20mp equivalent, so that means pushing the ISO up and noise starts to creep in, etc. I still think it is a heck of body. I have been impressed with the size of the prints/quality of the prints that I can pull off the 5dIII.

The trade off for noise vs. resolution needs some more tech in my extremely humble opinion.